Recent content by Norliss

1. Norliss

Interesting take on vintage gear

Agree with you. I do have a couple of vintage tables but my system is modern gear. As much as I love vintage gear I wouldn't have it as my main system.
  2. Norliss

Interesting take on vintage gear

Last night I watched this video: It's both about gear he wishes he still had and gear he's glad he no longer has. Toward the end he weighs in on vintage gear (it's timestamped so you don't have to watch it all, if you only want to watch the bit on vintage).
  3. Norliss

Top 10 holy grail cassette decks?

Given what I now know, I'd revise this list. I'd still most like one of the aforementioned Luxman units but the remainder would be: 2/ Aiwa XK-S9000/ XK-S7000 3/ Aiwa AD-F990/ AD-F770 4/ Nakamichi ZX-9/ZX-7/CR-7/CR-4 5/ Tandberg TCD-3014 6/ Sony TC-KA7ES* 7/ Bang & Olufsen Beocord 9000**...
  4. Norliss

Technics RS - G700 , New Cassette Deck ?

That's one of the very serious problems that society faces: that a lot of stuff seems real on Facebook, but isn't. Personally, I think the world would be a better place without it and the likes of Zuckerberg but with lots of high quality cassette deck models available new :)
  5. Norliss

Technics RS - G700 , New Cassette Deck ?

It was an April Fool fake from 2020.
  6. Norliss

JVC QL-?? owners thread

The thread is 22 pages long and I am currently too tired to read the whole thing in its entirety, but I did see mention of repairing the feet, (presumably your post) which I'm sure will be very useful. I shall take a look at that when I decide to have a go at a repair albeit not a priority for...
  7. Norliss

JVC QL-?? owners thread

This has been an interesting thread! When I first developed a fixation on vintage DD Japanese turntables about 5 years ago, I'll be honest I didn't care too much for the JVC tables. Firstly, because they (to my eyes at that time) looked very old-fashioned and I thought they'd look a bit out of...
  8. Norliss

I'll be honest: that was never on my radar before. I've looked at it and it looks like a beautifully made, serious piece of kit but I generally tend to lean toward newer decks with the full complement of Dolby B,C,S, HX-Pro etc. I totally appreciate that a number of decks on my list don't have...
  9. Norliss

Here's my list although it's a slight cheat because I've sometimes grouped several models from the same manufacturer's series together: 1/ Luxman K-03/K-04/K-05 - as a Luxman fan, one of these would be the deck I'd like the most and then in no particular order: 2/ Nakamichi CR4/CR5/CR7 3/...
  10. Norliss

Sony - SACD - which player range? SCD, BDP, DVP or others

There are numerous DACs that handle up to 24/192 with inexpensive (but well made) cables, so it's not that big of a deal. However we're unlikely to see any SA-CD hardware with DoP so it's a moot point. As you say, 5.1 definitely wouldn't possible with S/PDIF so either HDMI to an AV Amp or 6...
  11. Norliss

Sony - SACD - which player range? SCD, BDP, DVP or others

I often read people saying that S/PDIF connections lack the bandwidth to output SA-CD but it's not strictly true. An SA-CD is basically DSD64 which is equivalent in bandwidth to 24/88.2, whilst coaxial and Toslink (connectors at either end permitting) can transmit 2 channel audio up to...
  12. Norliss

Roku vs. "Audiophile" Network Music Player...

Indeed. Generally such video-centric devices aren't ideal for music reproduction and one of a number of reasons why I don't use my Nvidia Shield TV for this purpose either.
  13. Norliss

Roku vs. "Audiophile" Network Music Player...

I suppose this depends on the specific device(s) being used. I have an Nvidia Shield TV but noticed that it re-samples the audio out to either 48kHz in the standard setting or 192kHz in the 'High Quality' setting. For YouTube/ Netflix etc I don't mind so much about this but for music, I want my...
  14. Norliss

Will an external DAC be a worthwhile improvement?

I think people place far too much emphasis on the chip contained within the DAC. To me, the chip is merely a spec-list i.e. older DAC chip A supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz whilst DAC chip B supports everything from 44.1kHz up to 384kHz and DSD128. The actual sound quality you get from a DAC is...
  15. Norliss

Any SMSL Sanskrit 10th Anniversary Owners?

I got one of these recently to use as a second (USB) DAC for my Nvidia Shield TV. It seems like a decent bit of kit for the price. My main criticisms are 1/ the popping sound it puts out when powered up, although I'm not sure if that would be the same if you were using it with variable output...
Back
Top Bottom