Recent content by Obankenobi

1. Obankenobi

JBL 044Ti Replacement

I'm on the wrong coast to know all the options, but I've had great luck with Simply Speakers on previous projects for service and spares
  2. Obankenobi

Micro Seiki owner's club

Slider, my guess: there is a steel timing ring fixed on the inside of the platter. The magnet would read the speed of the ring and adjust accordingly. On the strobo-ring vs. an RPM app: I knocked around the garage and couldn't find a suitable light to work with my strobo ring. But I did...
  3. Obankenobi

Micro Seiki owner's club

Thank you! I edited out my misinformation
  4. Obankenobi

Micro Seiki owner's club

At long last I've completed my Micro Seiki BL-91 restoration project. I received the the turntable from one shop in Japan, the MA-505 MkIII tonearm from a different shop in Japan, and the arm base from quite a character in Barrie, Ontario Canada who bought all of Micro Seiki's North American...
  5. Obankenobi

Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Back in college, when I was supposed to be studying, I was often in the magazine section of the library reading Stereo Review. In one edition they reported on a pair of the SDA SRS speakers at an LA consumer electronics show, saying they shook the walls of the convention center. In another...
  6. Obankenobi

Canton Karat 100

Thanks much! I will ask about the dome gel
  7. Obankenobi

Canton Karat 100

Lovely! I've been a Canton fan from my college years when the Ergo series was new. This summer, in lockdown boredom, I bought a pair of Karat 300's I didn't need and recapped them with spare Russian caps in my parts bin. The dome tweeters and midranges all had a thick covering of cat (?) hair...
  8. Obankenobi

Canton Speaker Capacitor and Coil Reference Thread

A question with the best chance of being answered on this thread: what are the two big gray, apparently sintered iron things in the photo above which are used as mounting points for the crossover? They don't seem to have connections to the PCB, and are not coils. Thanks for any enlightenment
  9. Obankenobi

Canton Speaker Capacitor and Coil Reference Thread

Great to find this thread. I just took in a pair of Karat 300's and am recapping them. Crossover below, I can't find a schematic online so the Wego codes were a mystery. The 22uF are measuring 10% high, 3.3uF 2902's 15% high. (Edit) The "mystery" 2102's measured 7.5 and 8.2uF. I'm crossing...
  10. Obankenobi

Micro Seiki owner's club

Thanks Slider, great to have another BL-91 owner nearby. I'm in Santa Rosa. I removed the two screws from underneath the plinth, but as that pic shows it only allows the plate a little movement - about 1/4" in my case. Maybe I'll just shim it up and work around it.
  11. Obankenobi

Micro Seiki owner's club

Wow, glad I found this thread. Like Barncats I have long been a Micro Seiki fan from afar. Their design aesthetic and engineering prowess have always impressed me. I owned a Sansui SR-929 for a while and now have a Pioneer PL-70, both of which received engineering by Micro. My latest project...
  12. Obankenobi

What would cause wow on a Micro Seiki BL-91?

I just got a restoration project BL-91 in from Japan myself and am surfing around for info. For your speed issue, on other decks I've found a drop of Deoxit or similar into the pitch dial guts worked. I see a bunch of electrolytic capacitors under the bottom cover as well. A wise man would...
  13. Obankenobi

Anyone using in-wall subwoofers?

I've been intrigued by this option as well, as the floor space in my home theater room is limited. I have floor standers for L/R, but no space for a subwoofer. Using a cabinet volume calculator, I get a stud bay 14" wide by 8' tall (assuming no blocking) to be about 2 CF. Stuffed with...
  14. Obankenobi

JBL 044Ti Replacement

I went in first with Mundorfs for the tweeters and mids, that sounded so good I went in again and used Jantzen Silvers for the tweeters, Superiors for everything else, bypassed with Audiocap Thetas, and had Erse fab foil coils for the woofer circuits. Edit: I should also add that after posting...
  15. Obankenobi

JBL 044Ti Replacement

LHorn, I'm glad your experience has been better than mine. When I was a high school kid in the 80's I worked in a pawn shop. We had a never-ending stream of cool gear come through that I got to play with, patch up and prep for sale, all before the days of eBay and Craiglist. We had many...
Back
Top Bottom