OctalSocket
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• I have not been able to try the AM-7040 with the tube preamp yet, as I was not fortunate enough to have "won" the one I was eyeing.

Nonetheless, I have tried it with the Sherwood AP-7020 pre, and while that pre sounded good at first, over the course of years it has diminished, and probably needs a recapping.

I did try it with my Hitachi IA600 integrated, using the pre outs, and the sound was good, the Hitachi being a decent sounding integrated in and off itself.

Where you get into audiophile territory, however, is when paired with the Sanyo Plus Series C-55 preamp from the late 1970's, simply amazing. If you can find one of these preamps grab them, they're superb. And don't let the name "Sanyo" fool you, as their Plus Series pieces were audiophile quality and fly under the radar.

The conclusion then is that the amp is a phenomenon, you just need the right level of preamp. Also, yours may be in need of some updating, it is over 20 years old.

Cheers
    Would like to buy the mc7200. If it is in good shape 1400 is fair. Will figure out shipping
    Eubanks 217246 7999
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom