Recent content by oldguy68

1. oldguy68

Marantz 2238b muddy sound on left channel

I have kept the old STV-3. I have repaired one before. I have 4 VAC across the right channel and 2.5 VAC across the left channel when the clipping begins. Just after the 9:00 volume position with balance in the middle and loudness off.
  2. oldguy68

You should not work when you are tired. I reversed the leads on the stv3h diode when I installed it. After I made the correction the bias will set perfectly. I got my hands on an oscilloscope and hooked threads to the left and right speaker terminals. The right side is good but the left side...
  3. oldguy68

I found that I had a concealed broken wire on the STV 3H on the left channel. I had a new old stock part on hand and changed it out. I fired it up on the dim bulb and the light has a slight glow after relay click. I took a chance and fired it on regular power. Checked the power supply voltage...
  4. oldguy68

I have been doing more checking on the 2238b. Putting a 1K signal into an 8 ohm dummy load the right channel load resistor is cooking at the 11:00 volume position. over 400 degrees F. The left side is running warm at 100 degrees F. DC offset is 0 Left and right idle voltage is set to 23mv. Right...
  5. oldguy68

I pushed it past 11 o'clock with no issue on the Hitachi. The distortion problem has been there before any changes were made. II will go back in and recheck.
  6. oldguy68

Why are there no symptoms when using the 2238b as a preamp? I have used it as a pre amp with my Hitachi SR2004 and there are no issues.
  7. oldguy68

The sound is distorted. The left channel sounds good at lower volume. At lower volume the sound is equal in both channels. I think it seems worse with the loudness on but is distorted on and off.
  8. oldguy68

I don't have a scope. I have been using a signal tracer. I will go over all solder joints on the left amp and then report back.
  9. oldguy68

The outputs have been checked and changed twice. Also swapped left to right. Emitter resistors also changed. Anything that has been tried does not work.
  10. oldguy68

Diodes have been changed as well as some resistors that were out of spec. Power transistors were also checked and changed. The only transistors that are original are on the p400 board. When using just the preamp with another amp the signal on both channels is clean either through Aux or phono...
  11. oldguy68

I have a 2238b that has muddy sound on the left channel on increased volume.(Volume knob set to 12 o'clock or more.) I have cleaned the controls and switches a few times to no avail.The right side is clear at high volume. I used the pre amp section with another amp and the sound is clean. When I...
  12. oldguy68

G22k G33k production numbers.

You gotta try.
  13. oldguy68

It came with the Adcom g5400 (125wats per channel). That is what is hooked to it now. Never thought of the other units mentioned but sounds like a good possibility.
  14. oldguy68

Yes it still has the umbilical. Will check into getting things working. Maybe the Sansui gods will drop an amp in my lap!
  15. oldguy68

The previous owner removed the light. He had it hooked up to an Adcom g5400. He did not like the blinking. I would take a g22 amp if I could get one. Is it possible to find out where the g33 Amp is located etc. Dick
Back
Top Bottom