O
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi onelink,
    For what ever reason, I couldn't reply to your post about the Phase Linear and the B&K.
    I'm trying to figure out how to privately give you my phone#, since it looks like PMs don't exist in the new AK format.
    I really hate the new format here. Bleck.
    I picked up the amp and I love the sound. The DQ10s have never sounded so good. In fact, I like it so much that I went out and bought a second one - two in one week. Now I need to get better speakers for the second unit, but my budget has been exceeded for a while.

The highs and mids are much better than the Rotel. The Rotel has a better bottom end, but bass isn't everything. I listen to a fair amount of metal and prog. With the Rotel, these genres sounded okay on the DQs. But with the inclusion of the PL amp, metal sounds like crap. I don't understand this phenomenon.

Have you tried your Klipsch speakers with PL amps?
    Dan, thanks for the response. I will pick the amp up on Saturday. And, if I can manage the hook up with a broken arm, I will give you my impression shortly thereafter.

Doug, by the way, contrary to his nature, got very excited when he heard I would be matching the Phase Linear to DQ10s. He thinks they were made for each other.

James
    Hey James,
    I totally understand you wanting some sort of warranty. Doug is a good guy and will always stand behind his work. (at least for me and I am sure for you also.)
    I think that the 400 has a bit more balls than the Rotel.
    DQ10's are not known to have overpowering bass to begin with and I will bet that the 400 fills in the mids and bass a bit better. I think you will be happy.
    350 is a little bit on the high side but if it's been gone over by a quality tech AND comes with the warranty, I think you did OK.
    Let me know what you think when you get it hooked up please. I would love to hear what you think.

All the Best,
    Dan

btw. Sorry for the long laps in communication but I just found out that you had answered my last message. Still trying to figure out this message thing.
    The current set up is a Rotel RB-1080, an Audio Research SP4 preamp and Dahlquist DQ10 speakers. The PL 400 is being held hostage at Audio Specialties until Jan 18th. I spent some time listening to it in the store, and it sounded really nice; I put some cash down and took off - then I started getting paranoid about the bass. The Rotel has lifeless highs, but the bass is really detailed - not overpowering and boomy, but detailed.

Admittedly, I probably paid too much at $350, which as far as I can tell is something like $70 more than Ebay. But, I wanted a warranty that only comes from a shop.

I am rambling... please tell what you think.

Thanks,

James
    Hey. Hope all is well with you. As far as the PL 400 goes. I love mine. I had Roland out in Gresham totally recap my 400 as well as my C 4000 and the sound is very nice. I think it has enough bass for me but it depends on your speakers and pre amp I guess. What speakers are you using now and what are you using to push your speakers?
    The price of the amp. might be a factor as well. If you pick it up for cheap then you can always sell it and make your $$ back if your not happy with it but at 200+wpc it will push most speakers with ease. I haven't really used it with speakers that dip below 2 ohms but 4 ohms and above work well with this amp. I think mine has a depth and a smooth bottom end while maintaining the mids and highs. Again, depends on the speakers.
    Let me know what your using now and i can try and let you know what my experience has been.

Best,
    Dan
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom