Recent content by oskaraleman

1. oskaraleman

Is there something 'they' really like?

I thought it was about Rocky & Bullwinkle.
  2. oskaraleman

No Oscar thread?

The Blade Runner Guy would be Roger A. Deakins and he did win the Oskar. 14th career nomination...1st win...impressive list of film credits on IMDB.
  3. oskaraleman

Old timers, what does it feel like to be able to buy all this cool stuff for next to nothing?

This song popped into my head while reading this thread...and I recently picked up a Yamaha RX-900U receiver for $20. Back in the Goodle Days John Hartford One day about twenty-five years from now, When we've all grown old from a-wondering how, Oh we'll all sit down at the city dump, And talk...
  4. oskaraleman

RX- 900U loudness control?

Thanks for the response, Electone...guess I was curious 'bout the red numbers going from Flat Loudness at the top to -40db at 2 o'clock as the ring is rotated to the left. Just window dressing or do these reference something? A fill in unit for the now, but I do like the sound and look of this...
  5. oskaraleman

RX- 900U loudness control?

Recently acquired a Yamaha RX-900U Natural Sound Receiver for $20 at the local thrift, + a buck for the copper wire to replace the missing pre/main jumpers and lack of sound output, thanks AK! Currently running with a Carver SD/A-450 CD player into a pair of Fried A3a loudspeakers. Can anyone...
  6. oskaraleman

The American Epic Sessions, direct to disc.

Surprised to find not much chatter on AK regarding this doc from 2017...really interesting production...2hrs of various artists recorded using 1920's technology (the only extant example thereof). Certainly worth the watch for the musical performances and especially the sequences with the...
  7. oskaraleman

Sci-Fi Channel Dune (2000) and Children of Dune (2003)

Looks like I'm stopping in at the library Sunday, as that Sci-Fi Channel production is on the shelf. Read the books many years ago, but have not seen this series, sounds good based on cast and the comments here.
  8. oskaraleman

Sci-Fi Channel Dune (2000) and Children of Dune (2003)

For those interested in screen adaptation's of Dune, I'd recommend the 2014 documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune". The film never happened, but I thought this doc was worthy of note. I was able to get the blu-ray edition from the local library.
  9. oskaraleman

Rose Marie, (Dick Van Dyke Show), has passed away.

yer welcome, Uncle Bambi This morning Dean Richards interviewed the director of "Wait For The Laugh". http://wgnradio.com/2018/01/07/a-rose-marie-documentary-is-coming-to-chicago/
  10. oskaraleman

Rose Marie, (Dick Van Dyke Show), has passed away.

Nice interview from May 2017 on WGN radio, I heard it as an encore broadcast over the holiday. Dave Plier interviews Rose Marie
  11. oskaraleman

2017 What Christmas Music are you listening to thread!

2017 release, a cool record for a cool yule...a little searchin' will certainly reveal a wealth of guitar goodness...cheers!
  12. oskaraleman

The Inner Light, Star Trek TNG, S5E25, The greatest Episode of the whole series

Agree, that is a great episode. A few years ago Paramount auctioned off various Star Trek franchise props and someone paid a ridiculously large sum for that flute. In the documentary made to chronicle the auction, Patrick Stewart reveals that it was not a playable instrument.
  13. oskaraleman

New documentary - Chasing Trane - and Audio damage!

I thought it was a good documentary. There's a bit where John Densmore relates hearing the quartet with Elvin Jones on successive occasions and how his playing style and interaction with Coltrane infused his own drumming with The Doors. I think his comment was that Elvin gave him his hands or...
  14. oskaraleman

20 albums to begin a Journey into Jazz

My journey into jazz began with an overnite radio program in the late 70's called The Dark Side with Ron Cuzner...obviously long gone. Here's a happening now music resource y'all might be interested in...14hrs weekly of radio programming dedicated to jazz. 2-5pm Mon-Thurs and 10am-Noon Sat...
  15. oskaraleman

Can someone repost the LP Deadwax notes cheat sheet?

Can't help you, but yesterday I bought The J.Geils Band Bloodshot album (red vinyl) at a yard sale and the deadwax note on side two is: "NICE TO SEE YOUR FACE IN THE PLACE"...yeah, written in upper case with the quote marks.
Back
Top Bottom