Recent content by PapaBear

1. PapaBear

KLH Model 20

A40 with a Polk powered sub. I don't have to crank either of these for big sound. The room is 11' wide. Main listening area is 12' long. Full room is 28' long. P
  2. PapaBear

KLH Model 20

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I recall an old thread (which, of course, wouldn't appear in the search because I was looking for it) that warned about frying the 737 on 4 ohm speakers. I definitely don't want to risk that. My listening space is rather small and on the BAs I rarely have...
  3. PapaBear

KLH Model 20

Do they really suck that bad? Or, are they likely to need recapping to revive the tweeter?
  4. PapaBear

KLH Model 20

I may have a chance at a pair of KLH 20 speakers (only; not the tt). Would they be a good match for a Pioneer SX-737 or VSX-522?
  5. PapaBear

Opinions of Klipsch RB-61 II/RP-160M?

Any thoughts?
  6. PapaBear

Lost bass response.

I had a bizarre loss of bass and stage collapse several years ago when I replaced a chair with a different style one. A simple reset of the positioning to clean face forward, and a few extra inches between the sub and the mains fixed it. (I had previously had them toed a bit to keep the highs...
  7. PapaBear

Opinions of Klipsch RB-61 II/RP-160M?

My current speakers are Boston A-40s with a Polk powered sub on a Pioneer SX-737 (35wpc). I really love the sound but I am wondering if I can improve upon it. I have an rather small space (roughly 12'x12' main listening area; 30'x12' full room) to work with so I am limited to smaller bookshelf...
  8. PapaBear

Quick thoughts about B&W DM12s...

I know they want more power. That is simply not going to happen here. The Bostons (with the Polk sub) on the 737 are a perfect match. The B&Ws are simply on a secondary backup that I likely won't be using all that much, and certainly not for critical listening. I don't intend to keep them.
  9. PapaBear

Quick thoughts about B&W DM12s...

I recently picked up a spare system (for when I eventually put my beloved SX-737 in for overhaul). Pio VSX-522K HT with a pair of B&W DM12s. Before I hooked up the 522, I swapped out my Boston A40s on the 737 for the heck of it. Hit them with my usual range of program for a few weeks. The...
  10. PapaBear

2017 Mid Atlantic AK FALL Gathering October 15th - 12 noon till 5-6 pm !!!

I'd like to go but will need a ride. If someone from DC (or passing through DC) is going and wouldn't mind playing taxi, please let me know. :)
  11. PapaBear

Silver-face era Pioneer SX-x2x and SX-x3x receivers with gold or bronze face

I bought a used 424 setup in 1973 as a "temp" system when I arrived in NYC. It had the champagne faceplate. The guy at Audio Exchange had no idea why Pio did that. There was no differentiation in stock numbers. Some just came in silver; a very few in champagne. I came across a champagne 424 not...
  12. PapaBear

Let me introduce myself

Welcome to the fold. I bought a 1250 in 1980. I loved that monster. Connected to my SX-1010, it was almost impossible to tell the difference between a record and the copy I made on tape. I would not mind having either one, or both, again. The only issue I had was mine tended to not like FeCr...
  13. PapaBear

why does this old Lafayette receiver sound so good?

I never got into the AVR/HT scene. I was never particularly impressed with the L+R+Center setups of the late 60s and early 70s. Quad was particularly unappealing because it was pretty much impossible to set it up correctly in a typical major city residence. I have had the best results with an...
  14. PapaBear

Get your hands on some Deoxit and read the The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited) thread A good surface cleaning and some quality time with Deoxit is the first order of business when you bring home a new friend that doesn't appear to have been serviced recently, or makes rude noises...
  15. PapaBear

That sounds like you could have something in the circuitry with thermal issues. I've seen repair manuals for various Lafayette models on eBay over the years. HiFiEngine has some, too. In the meantime, use the ritual many of us use: Connect the receiver to a surge suppressor strip having an...
Back
Top Bottom