Paul C
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I have some 'live sound' speaker cabs I built with 16ohm woofers and 8 ohm eminence compression horns, horns having 105 sb sensitivity. Obviously way too hot. I Built a crossover then installed potentiometer, but as soon as u dial it on, 1, horn immediately still too hot. I've been studyin ways to tone down these horns further, so that I can use the lpad in the 5+- range, but I'm not learned and unsure. Help?
    Hi Paul

I saw that you were posting how good the CTS/Motorola tweeters were back in 2006. Just as an update the entire assembly line and product line was bought by a California based company who are still manufacturing them, give me a shout and I can give you their contact details. Cheers PZ
    Hi, bbopman!

Sorry, I missed these posts.

What burns out the Darlington packs (Sanyo STK series) is what smokes separate transistor... excess current, usually caused by an inadvertent short. Just playing usually won't do it.

You can find most of the STK chips, or the next higher rated one.

For example, you can replace a STK1060 with a STK1070, or STK463 with STK465, replace STK080 with 082, 083, 084, 086. The only thing different is the amperage/power rating.

The problem is, these darlington packs, while convenient for the manufacturer, are generally not rated as high current (and thus power) as discrete transistors. Most do not handle more than 7 amps, but getting power transistors that will handle 25 or more amps is not that difficult.

Unless you short the speaker wires, there is not much chance of hurting one of these STK devices in normal use.

Paul
    Hi Paul...I understand you are a Kenwood afficianado...can you tell me about the Kenny KA9100 output transistors (Darlington Power Packs)..guys are saying that Sanyo still makes them and they ARE adaptable to the Kenwood KA 9100 w/o much hassle. My Kenny 9100 is just fine, just bought on EBAY..its like almost mint...so Im not terribly concerened...but it just inspires my curiousity...how/why these things would ever blow inthe first place under normal use...and if they do "burn" out...what can an owner do other than find a KA9100 for parts..and hope the Output Transistors are OK...any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! bbopman.
    Hi paul
    i have a akai AM-U04 amplifier. sometime ago while reconnecting the amplifier in a different room, the earthing wire by mistake was put in the live socket. this buggered up the amplifier.after some repairing it was brought in working condition but the only difference was that it took a long time to come on. the power used to come on instantly but the sound took a long time to come. after that it died again. i want to restore my amplifier. i would be greatful if you could suggest some way to restore this robust amp..

thanks a lot
    Your post regarding piezo tweeters was helpful. I had a diagram of the series/parallel resistors for load and attenuation including the crossover components that came originally from Meyer Sound Labs. I was looking for it recently and could not find the file. Your post put me back in touch with the information and I thank you. -Lance Magic
    Paul,

Thank you for all the help you have given me with my speaker questions.

After playing with the Boxplot program a while I think I am finally figuring out what I am doing :)

Denny
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom