Recent content by Pauln

1. Pauln

Why do some speakers sound better with more power?

The audio taper used for volume controls is designed to make the increments sound like they are increasing the loudness by about the same amount. Since the ear's perception of loudness is logarithmic with respect to power, if the volume control were linear to power the ear would hear almost all...
  2. Pauln

I'm referring to the graph of distortion vs power of class-AB and class-B amps where the higher power end of the graph is cleaner, before onset of clipping. Not to be confused with the graphs of the amplification elements' characteristics where their centers of operation range are linear and...
  3. Pauln

If you start with a high power amp, it is all about the speaker - whether at your listening level the speaker draws a lot of power or draws just a little - that determines where the volume knob will be to set your listening level and so what range of the amp's power will be called on (the clean...
  4. Pauln

The word "crossover" is confusingly used for two different things: - a kind of distortion inherent in class-B and class-AB amplifiers - the name for the balancing network used in speakers Crossover distortion in the amp is caused by using pairs of transistors or tubes in "push pull" circuits...
  5. Pauln

Maybe the difference people hear is crossover distortion? You have all seen a graph of distortion vs power for a transistor amp; From left to right the power in watts increases and the distortion line drops quickly, then kind of flattens out but still goes lower until it rather suddenly rises...
  6. Pauln

I need to learn about speakers

Hi troika! While you have the Epos to review, you might try them placed on the floor in corners to hear if the bass response improves at the volume you prefer to listen. If your listening room needs to be rearranged to allow corner floor placement, I would use the weekend to temporarily move...
  7. Pauln

Full-Range to Four-Way, distortion, what is best?

Yes! That is the reason compression horns have very low distortion. The driven elements of the tweeter and mid horn are literally microscopic, that of the bass horn driver pretty much invisible even at very loud levels.
  8. Pauln

Everyone uses a principal, approach, or philosophy that guides their choices. The result of mine is the rare (now days) "vinyl tubes horns", and I use relatively extreme instances of these. Here is some reasoning for why... I use fully horn loaded compression drivers Minimal excursion of the...
  9. Pauln

I think about these same kind of things. A while back thinking about Doppler I wrote it this way elsewhere on the internet... Imagine this experiment: Two independent audio signal generators, "A" and "B", present both their signals to the input of a single amplifier. "A" produces a sine wave of...
  10. Pauln

hookup question

If any of your gear has a two-prong plug, you might determine which orientation to use. While the gear is powered on (some turntables aren't powered until playing a record), use a VOM to measure voltage between the screw on the electrical service outlet and the chassis or ground of the piece of...
  11. Pauln

B&O turntables...

Thanks Montycat. Maybe strat1953 will come back and tell us if it helped. Sometimes I wonder if I should just indicate that I know some answer, but elect to withhold going to the trouble to provide it 'til the questioner returns.
  12. Pauln

B&O turntables...

Hey strat1953, For the early SP-14, SP-10, and SP12: The internal DIN 8 connector has five pins labeled from left to right, 3, 5, 2, 4, and 1, with an Earth connection at the bottom, The 3 pin is labeled "V", the 5 pin is labeled "H". At the other end where the pickup is connected there are...
  13. Pauln

The challenge of classical records, advice?

I don't really disagree; I have ultimately disposed of quite a few records because of poor recording / engineering quality... there is just a point beyond which intrinsic problems cannot be mitigated. As a musician myself, I tend to think of my records directly in terms of the music piece or...
  14. Pauln

The challenge of classical records, advice?

Classical playback from records poses a few challenges. 1] Surface noise 2] Effects of very loud full dynamic passages 3] Massed loud and high violins A lot of classical has ppp passages of extremely low level where the potential for surface noise can be quite detrimental. Loud passages behave...
  15. Pauln

Does (amp)size matter?

The answer to "Does quality change with power?" is, it depends. Some companies justify the higher price of their amps further up the line based on more power, more features, and better engineering. My observation is that Sansui did not do that - their only justification was more power and...
Back
Top Bottom