Recent content by peterock

1. peterock

Airport Express DAC or integrated amplifier DAC

The Airport Express only passes 44.1/16 (iTunes streams a bit-for-bit identical copy of the source to the Airport Express over wifi but only up to 44.1/16, which is fine since my iTunes library is almost entirely CDs ripped to Apple Lossless) so I'm not running into the limits of the optical...
  2. peterock

Ah, I thought there must be a better solution than those suspiciously cheap optical to coaxial adapters. Although I am now considering an integrated amp with both a phono preamp and an optical input like the Marantz PM6005 or the Yamaha A-S301 or A-S501.
  3. peterock

Compact Integrated Amplifier

Ok, I'm following StuartB's advice and taking my time. In the mean time I'm connecting through an SMSL AD18 integrated amp with an ART DJPRE II phono preamp. I am not impressed with the SMSL AD18. It has a harshness that is maybe archetypal digital sound (the speakers are supposed to be...
  4. peterock

I was all ready to get a PS Audio Sprout as my solution for a compact integrated amplifier to connect my Technics SL-QL1 (MM, no preamp) record player and Airport Express (MC414LL/A) to my Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers, when I noticed the Sprout doesn't have an optical S/PDIF...
  5. peterock

Oooh...that Toshiba Aurex line - now that’s what I’m talking about! I found a Toshiba Aurex SB-A10 and a ST-T10 and the price is right, even with shipping across the pond. Does anyone know if the power supplies on these are switchable to 110V 60Hz or would I have to do a mod?
  6. peterock

Hmmm...that is interesting. Not at all what I had in mind but I like the look and the specs. Interesting idea keeping the signal digital all the way through the power amp. The Airport Express has an optical out, so the one analog input on the NuForce could go to the turntable. I guess I’d...
  7. peterock

Hi all, I’m new here, in a new home, rolled over 40 a few years ago, and am feeling the itch for something more satisfying in my music system. I remember growing up with my dad’s system and liking it so much...turntable, reel-to-reel, big floor speakers and a big, glowing, silver receiver with...
Back
Top Bottom