Recent content by PhilC

1. P

Can I do this?

Thanks, FloridaSam and everyone else. I looked into the Niles DPS-1 as suggested. I think it will be the perfect solution for this arrangement. This forum is great - thanks again for the advice.
  2. P

Can I do this?

Thanks, RichPA and WillHowl - I am confused, however by your posts. I am proposing to wire the output of the stereo amp directly to one set of binding posts and then wire the output of the second amp directly to the second set of binding posts. How would that configuration result in the output...
  3. P

Can I do this?

Thanks - that's a good idea. I have been avoiding that set-up, however, as I am concerned that running my mac stereo amp through the preamp outputs on my inferior Onkyo receiver would degrade the quality of the stereo signal. Am I crazy for worrying about that? Also, going back to my...
  4. P

Can I do this?

I have a pair of B&W 685 speakers. I am currently using them in a pure 2-channel stereo set-up utilizing a vintage Mcintosh stereo amp and Onkyo CD-player. I also have a home theatre receiver and DVD player (along with a B&W center speaker, sub-woofer, and rear speakers. I would like to run...
  5. P

Preamp for Main and Remote Speaker Control

I am looking to match my MC2105 with a preamp that will easily allow me to control the signal from the front panel to main speakers, remote speakers, or both simultaneously. I was considering a C28 until I read the manual on-line tonight and saw that you need to add a speaker control relay...
  6. P

DAC in a 1986 Technics CDP?

I just bought the Onkyo DX-7555 CDP with the Wolfson WMA8740 24-bit DAC. I am replacing an old Technics CDP from 1986 that came with the Technics rack-system that I bought the same year. Out of curiousity, does anyone know what kind of DACs were being used in these machines in 1986? Were they...
  7. P

Burn-In: real or imagined? A proposed experiment.

I don't mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am not concerned with convincing others that my view is the correct view. I'm only looking for my own truth.
  8. P

Burn-In: real or imagined? A proposed experiment.

This is the best idea that I've heard yet. I have to believe this has been performed by the R&D guys at many manufacturers already and I bet there are publicly available test results if you know where to look. Completely takes the subjectivity out of the test.
  9. P

Break-In Necessary on New CD Player?

DK - I will pay attention over the coming months and let you know if I experience any similar problems. Thanks for the input.
  10. P

Can you figure year produced from serial#?

That's probably a good guess. My unit is in good shape and has not yet been restored so I'm not that surprised. It's fun to learn a little bit about the history of our vintage pieces. Thanks.
  11. P

Phil - My 2105 has the serial number printed on the back of the chrome chassis just to the right of the fuse. I think it is silk-screened? Is your's not printed there?
  12. P

Thanks again, Victor. My 2105 is BT-2255. I suppose that means it was manufactured in the final year of production (1978).
  13. P

Victor - Thanks for posting this information - is it publicly available elsewhere? I have an MC-2105 and would like to know the serial number range and associated dates as well. Thanks.
  14. P

Who's worried about it? I'm simply curious. Incidentally, while I'm no expert, it's easier for me to believe the difference sometimes heard is actually an adjustment in the listener rather than the CDP. I'm open to other interpretations, however.
  15. P

Burn-In Necessary on New CD Player? I just purchased an Onkyo DX-7555 CDP and should have it in my clutches within 4 to 5 days. I've read a lot of comments suggesting that new CDPs sound better after an initial burn-in period. This does not intuitively make sense to me and I'm wondering if...
Back
Top Bottom