Recent content by podbaydoors

1. podbaydoors

Scott 388 rebuild

I posted the service manual for the 388 to HiFiEngine, but the 388B is considerably different.
  2. podbaydoors

What does everyone own for tube gear!

The boss sez “ if you’re not using it, don’t use it to gather dust “ I’m down to a Dynaco PAS-3, an FM-3 and an ST-70….
  3. podbaydoors

Dynaco st-120....a great amplifier?

Just finished one of Dan’s ST-120 kits too. Did the full thing, with the power supply, both channels, muting board, and the giant heat sinks. A little while ago I had recapped a PAT-4. The two of them look great together, very 1971.
  4. podbaydoors

Dynaco Stereo 150 (ST-150) Amp Refurb/Rebuild Query

Actually don’t recall what I found to fix the problem. But I did end up deciding to replace ALL the 45 year old electrolytic caps. That wasn’t a big deal as it is with a preamp like a PAT-4 or PAT-5 I did that about 5 years ago in late 2019. Still working great, it’s serving as the power amp in...
  5. podbaydoors

Converting David Clark Headsets to Audiophile Earphones?

My mom got me a pair of the 1971 models with S&H green stamps!
  6. podbaydoors

Illinois?

Never was a Rockford resident, but did live in Sterling as a kid in the late sixties. At that time, before FM college radio stations, all of our exposure to new music was through the Chicago pop radio stations ( WLS, WCFL ) and the 50kw AM radio stations that could be heard at night. Some of...
  7. podbaydoors

Any interest in a Chicago area club?

Back in the 70’s everyone spoke HiFi. Now it seems to be an endangered language. In the Oak Park / River Forest alone, there were five dealers ( Olson, Hi Fi Hutch, Allied, Musicraft and Pacific Stereo )…. If there was a lull in conversation amongst teens, one’s stereo was always something you...
  8. podbaydoors

Vintage AR

vintage-ar ( Larry ) is an eBay seller. He offers rebuild services for AR drivers and is a gold mine of guidance. ( I’m not affiliated in any way )
  9. podbaydoors

Vintage AR

Yes, that’s it I believe.
  10. podbaydoors

Vintage AR

My 3a pair had sat in a closet since the early 80’s when the foam surrounds had rotted and the original owner “ upgraded “ to something else. I found them when helping to clean out the house. The surrounds were replaced ( with the correct replacements ) as were the original crossover caps and...
  11. podbaydoors

DYNACO ST-120 Restore to former glory

“You are doing more than I did! Re-stuffing the large caps is a chore. Make sure to somehow leave a date of re-stuff on the capacitors for the next tech that gets in there. I also left all the CC resistors as they tested within spech. Good luck with the project!” The cans will be labeled with...
  12. podbaydoors

DYNACO ST-120 Restore to former glory

I’m just about to embark on re-doing one myself. Just finished a PAT-4 ( 1974 with the greenish fiberglass boards ) which I kept stock and only replaced all the electrolytic caps. Sounded great after that and deoxing all the switches and contacts. The 120 is marginally functional currently. I’m...
  13. podbaydoors

Fisher 220

It may have been the case that she retired it after it was sent to a local tv repair shop and it wasn’t properly serviced. The way the boards are suspended above the chassis by standoffs without access from below due to no hole in the chassis and then soldered onto posts which were riveted to...
  14. podbaydoors

Fisher 220

Switch to mono, beacon goes out. Sound is the same. Really distorted, almost nulls out at maximum meter deflection.
  15. podbaydoors

Fisher 220

The AM side came to life, sounds great. FM is just barely there, stereo or mono. The meter is registering signal, the multiplex decoder is registering a stereo signal. There is only faint distorted sound. I’m suspecting the multiplex output.
Back
Top Bottom