1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice
Poinzy
Last Activity:
Jul 27, 2017 at 8:56 PM
Albums:
Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

People graduate from headphones to speakers, then treat the room to make it sound exactly like a set of headphones. What is the point? Jul 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Poinzy was last seen:
Jul 27, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People graduate from headphones to speakers, then treat the room to make it sound exactly like a set of headphones. What is the point?
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The best way to "treat" for bass frequencies is to get a bigger room. If you can't do that, settle for smaller speakers or use headphones.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      This little gremlin wanders between 560Hz and 490Hz, approximately. I have no idea what's causing it, except that it isn't a USB thing.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      What in heck produces a 540Hz electrical noise signature? It ain't USB. USB produces a 1kHz signature, plus harmonics. @ 1kHz multiples.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I finally got ASIO recording mode to work. Maybe it's a Windows 10 thing. Suddenly, I'm having good luck.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      "Subtle." What a STUPID answer.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I notice that a lot of "audiophiles", especially newly minted ones, spend an awful lot of time operating on the theoretical level.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      As you gain experience you often discover that things that matter on a theoretical level don't matter on a practical level.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My JBL Nanopatch passive attenuator has worked great in a bunch of different applications. I've never had impedance issues with it.
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      SURE used Radio Crap stuff is cheap! There's a reason. People with brains didn't want it even when it was new.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I never once saw a piece of audio gear sold by Radio Shack recommended in any credible audio mag. Not one time. Why are ppl buying RS crap?
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Vinyl newbs are rediscovering the wheel. Another entry in the "Where Have You Been?" chronicle.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Newbies certainly have silly expectations when it comes to vinyl records. I've rarely heard such naive "discoveries".
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Gee, some of your new LP's sounds like ka-ka? Welcome to my world, 40 years ago.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People are buying this old audio gear out of novelty appeal, having no idea at all what its limitations are. It's like a sci-fi story.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If think cassette decks sound good, that means you can't distinguish one sound from another. Stick to your bedroom radio.
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People buying cassette decks for "audiophile" purposes have reached a new level of dumb.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Vinyl needs a huge industrial infrastructure so sustain it, but its environmental impact is, somehow, minimal. Digital hates Gaya.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Vinyl is made from candy-cane dust and unicorn breath, and is pressed in the Angel Factory. It's shipped to stores on magic love beams.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      "Yay vinyl!" Brought to you by the same people who lecture everybody else about "going green". "Mommy, where does vinyl come from?"
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. The last big project I did was engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart.

The oldest things in my home studio right now: a Dual 1229 turntable and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.

Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

I rip and restore shellac and vinyl recordings.
    Science brings the evil of meritocracy to the golden ears' inclusive wonderfulness.