Last Activity:
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM
Albums:
Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

Google is at their fingertips and people still won't look up answers to questions that have been asked a million times already. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Poinzy was last seen:
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Google is at their fingertips and people still won't look up answers to questions that have been asked a million times already.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      That the iPhone Generation would eventually lose patience with a clunky thing like a turntable isn't exactly a shock.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      When the WSJ says vinyl sales are declining, they're declining.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Burned out on audio restoration. Now researching digital video (i.e., watching a lot of movies).
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      "Don't take my word for it. Look it up." But I don't think people ever look it up.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      There isn't much to the topic of how to get a mono signal out of a turntable. I don't know why people keep discussing it.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      You're much, much better off tracking down primary sources on the internet than you are asking for opinions on a public audio forum
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Leaving the discussion of monophonic records before I get really frustrated.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The only thing special about monophonic cartridges is that, due to internal wiring, you can't convert them to stereo.
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Scientific tests generate results that are either reproducible or refutable.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I prefer the test results from engineering labs to the opinions of livingroom daydreamers. Call me a fascist or something.
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I do get twisted pleasure from watching people who, I suspect, are determined to ignore perfectly sensible advice.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I knew one guy who suspended his speakers from the ceiling (in fishing nets, lol) -- a kid in my college dorm. The results were predictable.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Just when I think something is so painfully obvious it shouldn't require explanation, I am proved wrong.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Friends don't let friends idler-wheel drive, drunk or not.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The people who romp with the unicorns in the Candy Cane Forest have magic turntables that defy physical laws.
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      For mechanical performance, idler-wheel turntables represent the worst of the available turntable options.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Acoustic recordings generally occupy a frequency envelope of 150Hz - 4kHz. Simple pass-filtering will get rid of most of the surface noise.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      It's really obvious after remastering early electric recordings that studio engineers didn't have access to monitors with low-end response.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      There isn't any one EQ curve that will make 78rpm records sound "right". Electrically recorded vs acoustically recorded adds complications.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. The last big project I did was engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart.

The oldest things in my home studio right now: a Dual 1229 turntable and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.

Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

I rip and restore shellac and vinyl recordings.
    Science brings the evil of meritocracy to the golden ears' inclusive wonderfulness.