Last Activity:
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM
Albums:
Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

You can't reproduce test conditions or test results using adjectives, the stuff on which The Absolute Sound thrives. Jan 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Poinzy was last seen:
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      You can't reproduce test conditions or test results using adjectives, the stuff on which The Absolute Sound thrives.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Unfortunately, on public forums, the opinions of the knowledgeable and the opinions of the ignorant are weighted equally.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Rumble, another reason to stick to digital.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Vinyl -- the audio stone out of which one attempts to squeeze blood.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Meanwhile, my newest CD player only cost a little over $200. My newest audio interface only cost $100.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Nice to discover that the ASIO driver written by another company works in your brand of audio interface.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I'm trying to keep the number of preamps down in my recording rig. This problem has turned into quite the bitch.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      First, you need to get some audiophile ground wire, made of hand-woven Japanese copper, only $500 a foot. Michael Fremer swears by it.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Millenials discover defects in vinyl records for the first time, forced to take traumatic journey back to Earth.
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Doing noise reduction exercises with my recording rig.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Watch -- somebody's going to start an argument about stylus pressure gauges. Three, two, one....
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      You care a lot more about your problem than I do. I will, at most, make a suggestion or two, then move on.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Cassette tapes, because the sound isn't degraded enough on vinyl. Strive for the ultimate recording -- pure noise.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      if there's an audiophile branch of SETI, it must meet in the turntable forums of amateur audio sites.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Automatic turntables are noisier, by and large, than their manual counterparts. It's just the way it goes.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      "You're are passionate, Mozart, but you do not persuade."
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Fairly or not, people first gauge your intelligence against your proficiency in your native language.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I refuse to help anyone who can't be bothered to spell-check a simple word like "advice".
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If there are at least 20 threads on a topic in the archive, people should receive an electric shock if they try to start another thread.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Turntables -- I love not having my ego not wrapped up in them.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. The last big project I did was engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart.

The oldest things in my home studio right now: a Dual 1229 turntable and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.

Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

"You are passionate, Mozart, but you do not persuade."
    Manufacturing requires reproducible outcomes. "Involving" isn't reproducible.