Poinzy
Albums:
Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

Do you want to REALLY look stupid? Call thrift store workers stupid then tell everyone you shop in thrift stores. May 25, 2017 at 3:39 PM

1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Do you want to REALLY look stupid? Call thrift store workers stupid then tell everyone you shop in thrift stores.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If I had to make a turntable the centerpiece of my livingroom sound system, an idler-wheel deck would be the LAST thing I'd choose.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The only "sound" an idler-wheel drive turntable has is rumble.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Real engineers beat you to it. Sorry. You can stop thinking you made some groundbreaking discovery on your basement workbench.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Never mind. Rip, download. I don't care.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Tube amps -- what a complete waste of time.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      What I meant was, if things sounded all right as they were, why did you get the new speaker stands? I KNOW you wanted to try them. WHY?
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I LOVE the "ignore" function. I think I got kicked off another site because I didn't use "ignore" soon enough.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My Grado cartridge hums. I know! I'll buy a new turntable!
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My Grado cartridge hums. I blame myself for not consulting the 'hum database' before buying it. Lol.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      All of the bad things that newbies are just discovering about vinyl I knew about in frigging high school. smh
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Yes indeed, vinyl sucks.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      You can make a phono mono adapter from parts in your supply drawer. Why on earth would you want to spend 100's of $ on a mono cart instead?
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Mastering for vinyl -- what an incredible drag. I'm glad I don't have to do it.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Mixing establishes the relationships between elements in a recording. Mastering establishes final levels and dynamic range.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If you want to eliminate room effects, forget speakers and get a set of headphones. It beats installing expensive room treatments.
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Playing Wagner in memory of my musical cat.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I had to have Moffet put to sleep. She's the cat in my "cat on audio gear" picture.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My cat is sick. I'm her go-to guy, and I feel like a pretty useless go-to guy right now.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Turning the volume down to safe levels -- the last thing people seem to consider. They deserve their tinnitus and hearing loss.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. The last big project I did was engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart.

The oldest things in my home studio right now: a Dual 1229 turntable and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.

Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

I rip and restore shellac and vinyl recordings. It beats meth.
    Science introduces evil meritocracy to the golden ears' inclusive hugfest.