Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

Checking out Nugen Audio mastering software. Sep 14, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Poinzy was last seen:
Sep 19, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Checking out Nugen Audio mastering software.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I don't think pro audio engineers discuss gear nearly so much as amateurs do.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      It isn't the initial outlay that's the problem with a used Dual 1229. It's the investment in labor to keep it running.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I think most people digging Dual 1229's out of their attics don't know what condition they're in. Buying one is a bit of a crap shoot.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      What a prima donna.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      "Please beg me to stay." "No." "Oh."
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People seem to spend most of their time agonizing over things that can't be measured, and never will be measured.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Reseating the violins in a soundtrack I am remastering. Damn -- this has taken 3 or 4 passes with the EQ so far.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      It's amazing the number of people who'll decide they need something simply because a lot of other people have one. #sheeple
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      So much about the subject of turntables lies beyond rational frontiers, and guys like M. Fremer would like it to stay that way.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If you can afford a 2000-watt livingroom surround system with a 90" 4k UHD television, you can afford a dictionary.
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Passive audio switch boxes seem like a great idea -- until you actually start using them.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Portability tends to be the hallmark of studio monitors, which helps explain integrated amps.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I wouldn't get anything by Pro-Ject OR Rega.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Remastering Three Dog Night's 'Hard Labor'. Amazing that these guys are essentially forgotten now.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If I were to choose one word to describe the mods at Vinyl Engine, it would be "immature".
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I fear spatial effects weren't in 1970 weren't what they are now. Ouch.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Weird phase issue on one of the tracks of my Dad's Woodstock LP set. Don't know what happened there.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      No matter what you do to RCA cable, it will never be as good as top-quality, shielded balanced cable.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The only good thing about idler-wheel turntables is the torque. There's nothing "magical" about them.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. Projects have included engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
    My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl short bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart. The oldest things in my collection right now: a Dual 1229 turntable (permanently retired) and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs. My desktop monitors are JBL LSR305's, hitched to a dbx 231s EQ.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.
    Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

If I can look it up, so can you.