Recent content by Porkloin

1. Porkloin

'The Majestic' - Best ever DIY Speakers?!

I didn't see any air motion transformers, so "best" is an obvious misnomer.
  2. Porkloin

Seems to me, ...ya gotta move some air

The 10" cones in the listening room are, on paper, the same as the six inch cones in the home theater. Sitting down and listening favors the 10 inchers by far.
  3. Porkloin

Can I use silicon to repair this speaker?

Hear-hear on the Aleenes repositionable. Unlike Elmer's, it stays pliable.
  4. Porkloin

For those with too much money….

Jeez-Louise! What a downer. And such a happy looking little pig!
  5. Porkloin

Convert Totem subwoofer to passive?

Yeah, like @Montycat said, only my output (Denon AVR3806CI) is premplified. It will do frequency, phase and level. Manual or automatic adjustment. I suppose I could assign an amp and cross it over and adjust the level, and possibly even do the phase via a "distance" control.
  6. Porkloin

Convert Totem subwoofer to passive?

Or if you have a a receiver or preamp with a controlled subwoofer output, a second-hand standard external power amplifier can be had for a song.
  7. Porkloin

Let’s do it again…! ADS owners club

Holy crap, that show is pretty close to our (your old) places. I may show up down there if I can get into the Spatial Audio exhibit.
  8. Porkloin

Gar' If you're still in that better part of 20 years, we'd probably demand some sausages, and, as the boxes of wine emptied out, the tall tales of what's actually in it. The house we're in will also have a pair of 1530s unused in the basement that I'll have to dig up a receiver for. It could...
  9. Porkloin

Johnny, We're having a pork (what else)-fest this weekend featuring a big, fat Denon and a pair of 1230s. The usual suspects with the usual boxed wine will be the judging panel. You need to move back to the correct side of the mountains.
  10. Porkloin

ADS L880 info?

I made a pair of subwoofers that matched the width of the 780's, which made them the bitchinest pair of speaker stands ever. They're powered by a Kenwood power amp that I got from this hinky guy in the old Wigwam parking lot and controlled by a modern home theater receiver. But the real beauty...
  11. Porkloin

ADS L880 info?

It's funny you should ask that. I would've never expected it,but there was a slight improvement in the lower end with the replacement of that cap. Of course, the smaller woofer wouldn't measure up to the bigger one in the 880's. I also got an improvement to my ear replacing the electrolytics in...
  12. Porkloin

Concrete speaker cabinets in development

I'm surprised that I've never seen anyone experiment with "aircrete" speaker boxes. Although the weight issue would be resolved, there would need to be some form of laminate (veneer, formica) on the outside. I would imagine that they would be acoustically inert.
  13. Porkloin

ESS AMT-3 replacement woofer candidates

There is nothing like big drivers in the main speakers. All serious listening is done with them, as opposed to the skinny towers in the home theater. I get the best of the both worlds between the 10 inchers and the transition drivers. Both the tightness of a well padded bass drum and the drawn...
  14. Porkloin

I understand that TS specs are only part of the story, hence the phrase, "starting point." TS specs are not everyone's cup of tea. Most bypass them entirely in favor of the subjective, largely unsubstantiated opinions of someone who sounds a little more "knowledgeable" than they do. Even more...
  15. Porkloin

Correction: A PAIR of 10 inch woofers that will work with a 2.6 cubic foot enclosure. Not that anyone pays attention to TS parameters as a starting point in the woofer quest with so much loose hearsay in abundance.
Back
Top Bottom