premiumplus
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I really don't get in here much anymore. Sorry if you felt snubbed about that PM. I really never saw it. Audio forums are just too contentious these days and I tend to stay away. I just wandered in here looking for the guy I just sold a Marantz AV receiver to.
    Do NOT... EVER... Turn pots on pickups, or cd players anyway. The fastest way to kill a laser is to fool with it without knowing how, or without owning a laser power meter.
    Also, static electricity will kill it.

Do not attempt this without an anti static mat and a ground strap around your wrist. You will also have to unsolder (most pickups) a safety jumper to protect the laser diode.

If you are lucky, it'll work as is. But often the focus and tracking has to be re-adjusted. For that you will need a scope and some experience knowing what you are looking at. These adjustments are in the player. The pot on the pickup is adjusted at the factory and must never be touched. Some people will turn this up a little to push a little more power out of the laser in order to sell the player.
    This trick only lasts a short time, but usually long enough to wash their hands after the sale.

On your player, the only sure way to know if the pickup is ACTUALLY bad is to measure it's power.
    That player has a laser pickup that is no longer available. The stable platter mechanism was also used in some esoteric ultra big bux players. Talk about throwing your money down the toilet. This is why I only own players with either common lasers or philips, which just don't seem to die.

Sorry.
    I saw a post that stated you purchased a soundcraftsmen ae2420-r, and I was wondering if you knew what they are currently worth in good, functioning condition. No one else has been able to help me yet, and I am trying to sell mine
    I've got several 1000s. I have not gotten around to them yet. When I do, I will post a complete DIY thread on their restoration (recap, op-amp upgrade, and calibration). At the moment, I'm up to my neck in alligators...
    Hi PremiumPlus,
    I was reading some of your posts and hoped that you might help me get my pl400 and associated gear dialed in. I have a 400 series 1(i think), a pl4000 preamp, and a pl5000 tuner. i have bose 901 series 2 speakers hooked up. i have the active equalizer in between the amp and preamp (per the bose manual). i also recently bought an adcom 515 to control powering on and off(it has that 10 sec delay on the amp). got a few things happening. when the system is on, there is still sound even with the volume all the way down. not real loud, but definitely loud enough to listen comfortably to the music. i use the -20db switch to minimize it but still audible. dirty volume pot? and what about the pl400 amp "thump". i have heard of a mod that can be done, is it necessary or just being over cautious. is there a correct sequence to powering on the preamp when using the adcom? your thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom