Recent content by preston1000

1. preston1000

B&K EX4420 Bias Uncontrollable

Does one know if I could replace a 2A124K with a WIMA MKS4D036802E00KSSD? The voltage is the same just the capacitance from 0.12 uF to 0.68 uF will be different. I just want to be sure before I place my order. Maybe it's a vague question, I don't know. I can also order Vishay BFC236726124 and...
  2. preston1000

Can anyone help with the signal path? I have no idea how to trace it and if needed I can upload the schematics that I have. There might be a lot of schematics to upload but I don't want to leave anything out. Maybe it will benefit others to follow and learn as I will. I contacted Ben but he...
  3. preston1000

DBT stays bright, short it is or something else. Thanks mbz.
  4. preston1000

You might be right, something is sure off. I run some more tests tomorrow and post results. When the amp is turned on it will start around 248mV and usually go down to around 5mV, but after testing offset, it would climb above 300mV, that's when the amp was pulled for servicing. I will use my...
  5. preston1000

Right when the amp was sounding it's best ever, the next time I turned on the B&K EX4420 there was a slight crackle sound in one speaker than the other which the amp has never done before. Usually there might be a slight thump but that's all when powered up. Then I turned on the Sansui and...
  6. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

Thanks for the inspiration Stimpy, I see who have replaced the capacitors and it made a difference. When I get the time is the question now.
  7. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

Poops, no wonder I was getting a bunch of slack, I meant capacitors not resisters.:whip:. Moving forward, I hope, does anyone know if the values could be changed? If so where, capacitance, wattage and or both? My apologies to anyone I offended.:bowdown:
  8. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

Hmmm, So a good idea would be to swap R&L channels to see if the bad and not so bad speakers are vise versa, then proceed from there. Hey, thanks Audio Karma.
  9. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

Hmm, Interesting responses, sounds like I'm wrong about resistors even if they're 35 years old and measuring capacitance by desoldering one leg only? Even if a resistor looks perfect doesn't mean it's in specs, don't believe it, ask around. These speakers were bought used for a great price so...
  10. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

The more I think about it I'm almost certain it's the tweeters because when I covered the tweeter completely, the voice in the mid-range speaker was so clear. By far the cleanest vocals I've head on my system to date.
  11. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

I have serviced it in the past but I know resistors don't last that long. It's a B&K EX 4420 and the bias and the mVDC have been adjusted by P1 & P2. I have replaced the ferro fluid about 6 years ago so that should still be good. I'm not 100% positive and that's why I posted here, maybe the...
  12. preston1000

B&W P5 floor speakers

Hello audio fans, I have a pair of B&W P5 floor standing speakers and started noticing symbol and voice distortion, it seems one speaker is worse than the other one. These speakers were made in the 80s and perhaps it's time to change the old resisters, can the resisters cause the distortion I'm...
  13. preston1000

AU-517 No sound.

Download the service manual, you'll need it.
  14. preston1000

AU-517 No sound.

I would post some pictures around the glue areas to see if that has caused your problems and post them. If you have a DMM, check the driver boards bias and set it to 2O DCmV from VR03. If that doesn't work, clean up the unit and use red DeoxIT on all pots and switches, use the liquid not the...
  15. preston1000

Leestereo's Restoration/Upgrade Of A Sansui AU-717

I figured I better take the other board out, F-2721 and check for glued parts to add to my order. Upon inspection, the following needs replacement due to glue contact on F-2721; C05 L01 R03 R10 R11 R17 TR03 On the F-2722 board, I noticed a glob of glue was on the side of R46 10ohm 2W N.I.R...
Back
Top Bottom