Recent content by Puffman

1. P

Apt Holman/Hafler vs Vintage Integrated and Receivers

I can only speak towards a Hafler DH-200 power amp. I have owned one for the past 30 years and it has always turned on and has sounded nice to my now 66 years old ears. It presently is my back up amplifier but seems to get most use as I am taking my amps in to get refreshed while there are...
  2. P

Mcintosh 4100 salvageable?

There are some pretty good repair shops in the midwest that can restore that receiver. Maybe some that you can deliver and pickup the unit yourself and apply the savings from shipping toward the repairs.
  3. P

Cerwin Vega LS-12 vs JBL 4312

I have and have had many speakers in my life. There must be a reason that my JBL 4312's are still the speaker hooked up to my main listening system and have been for over 15 years. There are better speakers, but that does not mean the 4312 is a bad speaker at all.
  4. P

JBL 4406 - What are they worth?

Well, I got my pair about 15 years ago for well less than $100 and have not done anything besides apply wood finish once a year and play them. I imagine they will be the last speakers I part with as they will accompany me to the old folks home. If they are clean and intact, I imagine $250...
  5. P

New office space, need bookshelves !

I was just given some Boston Accoustics A40 speakers that I needed to refoam. I have found that in a room that is smallish like 150 to 200 square feet they sound very nice and are very affordable.
  6. P

JBL 4406 vs Paradigm Mini Monitor V3

I have a pair of JBL 4406. If they are used in a small room of less than 200 square feet, I think they are as nice sounding speaker as any bookshelf speaker. I am sure many would say to use a subwoofer with them, but that is not how I roll.
  7. P

I'm Thinking Of A McIntosh C-26 or C-28 or ??

Getting ready to take my C26 into the shop to have it gone through. No reason other than it has been 20 plus years since it was looked at. I bought the unit used in 1977 and I have never had a problem with the on/off volume knob. I am sure a newer mac preamp would sound better but I am not...
  8. P

What tuners do you have ?

MR77 at home, Mx113 at the office. I have a Kenwood of some sort sitting in the closet.
  9. P

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

I listen to the local classic rock station for an hour every night when it is time to do dishes and clean the kitchen. MR77 is the tuner of choice.
  10. P

Speaker Recommendation for Pioneer

I am going to assume the system will be in a dorm room or bedroom. Any bookshelf speaker of the generation I think will sound just fine. My preference would be some JBL 4406 or the commercial version L20. Smaller Advents would be nice. I bet you could find some Rectilinear 7's for a...
  11. P

Hafler wow, not bad at all

I have a DH-200 that I bought about 25 years ago. I have since moved on to other amplifiers but I have saved the DH-200. Anytime an amplifier goes in to get serviced I insert the DH-200 till I get the main amplifier back. All I can say is it always works and always does the job. I may change...
  12. P

What's your latest audio purchase?

I went to an estate sale this morning and wound up purchasing a Technics SL-1600Mk1 turntable with an audio technica cartridge for $150, a Teac A-3440 reel to reel for $75 and Realistic minimus 7 speakers for $25. The turntable works and sounds fine but certainly needs servicing. The Teac...
  13. P

Found some HPM 100's

Congratulations. With just a bit of work on those cabinets and you will have some speakers that will look as good as they sound.
  14. P

Shipping question for fragile Mac.

Always remove the faceplate on any Mac when shipping. Especially if you do not have the C28 original packing materials.
  15. P

Vintage garage speakers

Go big or go home. Get a pair of JBL 4435s and show the neighborhood who is boss. Seriously, budget yourself $100 and watch craigslist or Estate Sales and see what kind of bookshelf speakers you can acquire.
Back
Top Bottom