Recent content by Quadrunner

1. Q

Starting Point Systems DAC3

Does anyone have any experience to share on the improvement in sound quality using something with a higher sampling rate than redbook?
  2. Q

Ignorant question of the day - Which Antenna?

I recently saved a Technics ST-k55 tuner from being tossed, and everything still seems to work pretty good, but I can't get enough reception for stereo and the guys at technics decided I only needed the 75 ohm screw terminals (no coax) on the back for this operation 75ohm - ground. In the...
  3. Q

DACs: please someone set me straight

Sorry. I guess I don't know the right terminology. I was referring to a Discrete DAC or output? My CD player has it, and a lot of DAC's advertise it.
  4. Q

If you don't mind what's this business I keep reading about discrete electronics? Apparently we like the sound of that.
  5. Q

That's literally the formula I use for coming up with the maximum price on unrestored vintage audio and then I'd add the rough cost of restoration on top of that plus maybe a little extra if I like the work(er). Interesting that people see otherwise....
  6. Q

Sony CDP-101

Wham! Agh I can still feel the sting on my forehead. Does it have a belt or something? Does it try to open? http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/why-do-i-want-a-sony-cdp-101.240671/ http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-101.html
  7. Q

Sony CDP-101

With the drawer lock feature engaged, the noise floor is as low as you'll ever hear it. Utter blackness with a telling neutrality. It sounds as if you are right there in your listening room. Very lifelike.
  8. Q

Non-Oversampling R2R DAC - Any suggestions?

I really like that one! Mainly because I'm satisfied with my DVD player's performance but like having a variety of sounds to fiddle with. I don't know how to describe it, but there is an analogue quality I like in certain pieces that I wouldn't mind having in the arsenal. The DAC3 seems to...
  9. Q

POWER Form Factor internal AUDIO SYSTEM Sound Output Mode AC-3 (Dolby Digital) Digital Audio Format Dolby Digital output Frequency Response 2 Hz Signal-To-Noise Ratio 115 dB Total Harmonic Distortion 0.0028 % Dynamic Range 100 dB FEATURES Bit rate meter display Yes DVD Form Factor...
  10. Q

You guys can say what you want about my preference for Non-Oversampling. Maybe I'll change my mind. Truth is, I'm occasionally researching to buy my first external DAC, and I just want to start with something straightforward as that's just my way of going about things. At my present level, I...
  11. Q

Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Connecting It To My Phone!?

How does that compare to your laptop?
  12. Q

Should I bail on vintage?

That Fiio is a music player I think. That was your source of choice right? What are you using now, and what kind of difference are you hearing? I usually tell people I get the most out of speakers, but there is still a boost in detail by upgrading amps, good color, flavor, imaging etc.. When...
  13. Q

Dac hook up question

Yes, its fairly common to find 3.5 to coaxial cables at thrift stores for me. My local stores don't seem to carry them for some reason, but a normal city would have them somewhere. The internet might be your friend on this one. They make XLR to 3.5 adapters as well, though I'm not familiar...
  14. Q

Should I bail on vintage?

My recipe for finding good gear at an affordable price. Research and learn the fundamentals...Not just specs. Learn basic repairs. Find something with your requirements with little to no noise on the internet. In the case of amplifiers I've found there is a sweet spot (not the only spot) at...
  15. Q

Low Input - High Volume VS High Input Low Volume

Okay, thank you! In reference to the third question. I wasn't referring to a loudness function, or preamp modifications to eq so much as I was referring to attenuators position when you change the volume. I'm curious for example, if opening up the flood gates approaches the most direct signal...
Back
Top Bottom