Recent content by quartersaw

1. quartersaw

MC 452/462

No Power Guard, so the 'Tachometer', will easily Redline!
  2. quartersaw

MC 452/462

Someone in these pages called the Mc2300, the 'Dirty Harry', of Mcintosh amps. It has 'muscular' bottom end, but it can be an unforgiving amp. I blew out a JBL 2245 compression driver, running just a single '2300, @ top volume. The Mc452, is as smooth as silk, and dead quiet. - A 'Liquid'...
  3. quartersaw

MC 452/462

I bought mine, in 2018, so those were the waning days..
  4. quartersaw

MC 452/462

Someday, I hope to see a bench test on these pages, of the '452, and '462!
  5. quartersaw

MC 452/462

I wish that I still had my 2300's, but they did finance the '452. I miss the bottom end, that those two strapped Mc2300 amps, provided! BTW, the first Mcintosh amp that I ever coveted, was the Mc275. My (long departed) Dynaco MkIII's was my 'poor man's' attempt, to capture that sound. :)
  6. quartersaw

MC 452/462

I bought my '452, as production of it was ceasing, so I acquired it, for a 'closeout' price! I'll never need another amp!
  7. quartersaw

How many power amps is too many?

My Wife, thinks that I am certifiable, on some level. :smoke:
  8. quartersaw

I just turned 70. I'm in pretty good shape physically (Can't really lift my '452. OR the '500 by myself, though) but I know that I am at the point in life, where my possessions own ME, instead of the other way around. I have more guitar amps, (AND Guitars) than stereo equipment, and the time is...
  9. quartersaw

Mc452, Mc500(Idle), Mc2200, (2) 2100's. If I was 20 years younger, I'd buy another dozen!
  10. quartersaw

McIntosh 2100 - Light Distortion

In my case, the switch had an internal white lubricant, that turned solid. I actually had to take the switch apart, to thoroughly clean it.
  11. quartersaw

McIntosh 2100 - Light Distortion

The Stereo/Mono switch can sometimes, cause distortion. Try rocking it back, and forth a few dozen times. It may just need a cleaning.
  12. quartersaw

2100 popping fuses

FWIIW, one of my '2100's was blowing fuses, and it turned out to be one of the two 1N3492R's in the bridge rectifier. (The two 1N3492's, were OK)
  13. quartersaw

MC 2300

I used to own 1Y975, and 1Y983. One of the amps had an ink stamp on the chassis, of Jan. 1973. My guess, would be circa 1975.
  14. quartersaw

Question for the group (Mc500 operating temperature)

Update to this old thread: Had the amp serviced by Bob the Tech, and a few Power Transistors were out of spec. Bob biased the amp, to run cooler, and all has been well, since!
  15. quartersaw

Mc2200 in the House

The black paint on the face of the 2200, actually looks pretty good. I'm going to use black Appliance paint on the face, and on the transformers, to spruce the amp up a bit. Appliance paint dries rock hard, and has a very smooth surface, when it dries. It is perfect, for this application. I...
Back
Top Bottom