Recent content by rave0035

1. rave0035

Altec Line Transformer input for summing mixer

Hey Josh - love the project idea. I'm jealous that you have 'a number of Altec Input Transformers' lying around... You might get more help on the diyaudio.com forums - In my experience AK tends to be more focused on repairing and modifying consumer audio vs scratch building pro audio stuff...
  2. rave0035

Radio Shack 250 watt PA Amp - Stuck In Protect

I got it! As I was preparing to reinstall the main board, I noticed that one of the transistors with a free-standing heat sink was very loose, and the traces on the underside of the board were wiggly and very suspect. I jumpered all three legs and reconnected everything and it jumped right out...
  3. rave0035

Thanks Rich. I suspect signal tracing is what I'll need to resort to next, although I was hoping for a smoking gun without all that fuss. I have the main board out of the unit right now. A few minor differences in my unit, but they generally look to be electronically and mechanically...
  4. rave0035

Hi AK! It's been a while since I've had anything on my bench except kit builds or honey-do repairs. When RS was closing it's doors, I picked up an open box 250w PA amp for almost nothing. It is stuck in 'protect' mode, so I'm assuming somebody blew it up right out of the box and returned...
  5. rave0035

Pioneer SX-780 No relay click

Reviving this thread to say "thanks" to all who contributed - I have an SX-780 in protect and re-flowing the solder joints on the 3 transistors near the relay proved an easy fix :banana: Here's hoping the OP got his issue sorted! Mike
  6. rave0035

New tweeters for old speakers, how do you match them?

A bit off-topic but the Dayton III's were my first (and so far only) speaker building project over 15 years ago, and they're still my daily drivers in my living room (although I recently swapped out my FIRE ENGINE RED paint for a maple veneer / off white paint combo). They're really fantastic...
  7. rave0035

Just picked up a super clean Pioneer PL-530, need some opinions on cartridge choices

Just bought an AT-VM95-ML for mine... stay tuned for feedback. Also, see: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pl-530-cartridge-alignment.222055/ Also - mine came with the same Shure cart! It was great while the stylus lasted...
  8. rave0035

Cart Recommendations for PL-530

Update - I went with the VM95-E! I figured it would be easy to upgrade the stylus down the line if I'm so inclined. Thanks again... I'll report back vs the Shure... Mike
  9. rave0035

Thanks for all the quick opinions. I think the VM95 really seems like a good fit for me to try - now trying to decide between the E and the ML, but am leaning toward the ML. Not sure if I'll hang on to the m97xe or part with it for someone who might appreciate it more than me. I'll make...
  10. rave0035

Thanks! Any quick recommendations for reading on the pros/cons of EN vs ML vs SH? I'll go do some googlin' too...
  11. rave0035

AKers - I'm in need of a new cart for my Pioneer PL-530 w stock headshell and am looking for recommendations. I've been running a Shure M97xE but the time has for a new stylus and NOS are prohibitively expensive. I tried an N97ED stylus per some recommendations here, and it works OK but I've...
  12. rave0035

Dim bulb tester-bulb glowing

I recently recapped a 4-track tape deck and got half way through (maybe 15 caps in?) when I realized the old caps had the stripe on the positive side. Glad I caught it but boy was that a bummer. Mike
  13. rave0035

Restoration and Preservation Pt II - Cousino Echo-Matic II

That's a great idea! Actually, there's a local antique radio club that's pretty active in the broadcasting community... I might reach out to them and see if any of their members have a unit kicking around in a drawer somewhere. Mike
  14. rave0035

Thanks for the reply and the research. I suspect I've got the 'fully enclosed' version, but I'm not sure... more research is needed. Now the trick is that I don't have a R2R, and I didn't ever plan to own one either. I might check in on BT and see what kinds of crazy stuff AK'er might have in...
  15. rave0035

Hi AKers - in a recent thread, I talked about my efforts to digitize a mountain of tapes that were part of my grandfather's legacy - the master audio recordings he used on coin-operated and installed animatronic creations he sold across the Midwest. He experimented with a number of different...
Back
Top Bottom