Recent content by RayN

1. RayN

MX-1000 and dead meters

I finally pulled the front off this guy and I've spent a few days on it. I verified voltages all over the two boards on the meter assembly and everything was just fine. However, I finally noticed that the 800khz ceramic resonator is missing. It looks like it was sheared off, probably by yours...
  2. RayN

Calling all Yamaha cr-3020 owners

I tried JB Weld but had trouble getting it to stick well on the flat shaft surface. I ended up having to cut slots in the shaft and glue in a shim. It's holding for now.
  3. RayN

MX-1000 and dead meters

Thanks @avionic, I appreciate you weighing in. Yeah, I went through the boards very carefully, even touched up most of the solder points. I didn't see any physical damage at all, but next time I have it open I'll give it another look.
  4. RayN

MX-1000 and dead meters

I finally, after months of work, revived a thoroughly trashed MX-1k. There weren't a huge amount of dead components but the ones that were dead were spread out and hard to isolate. That combined with having to repair almost all of the amp interconnects because the pads were destroyed, ugh...
  5. RayN

M-80- deleting the "C" speaker option

@igotstoknow I have a great condition C speaker module for a C80/85 you can have if you want it. You'll just have to solder in the four-connector ribbon cable.
  6. RayN

Calling all Yamaha cr-3020 owners

I got my holy grail a few months ago, S/N 01546. It's in pretty good condition and works perfectly. Its treble pot shaft was sheared off, which I knew when I bought it, and I haven't had great luck repairing it (it's attached but I'm not happy with it). But trying to find an 11-position, dual...
  7. RayN

Kappa 9 crossover request

Good question. I still had the original caps and, sure enough, there's a 50uf blue Culver in there. It's quite possible I documented where it was connected incorrectly. I'll have to look back at the pics I took to see. Hmm.
  8. RayN

Also, my Kappas did not include the two sets of facing zener diodes in the tweeter section. Interesting.
  9. RayN

Cutting that 50uf cap at the midrange attenuator has drastically improved the sound. I still don't know why that would have been added and who may have added it.
  10. RayN

It would be nice to know what precedes what. If I had to guess I'd say the spec sheet was an original design and what went out the door were improvements on that, which is what most of us do, respect what's already on the board. But that cap bridging the attenuator makes no sense to me, and I...
  11. RayN

I redid the crossovers on my Kappa 9 a while back. There were a few capacitor discrepancies between the published schematic and what was actually on the board. I've attached a snapshot of what was different. Can some of you K9 owners let me know if you have the same anomalies? The one I'm...
  12. RayN

Advice/help from circuit repair gurus

I have around 2mv at output so I think I'm good. The DBT may have saved my cap. I will probably replace those anyway, they're original, but they tested fine.
  13. RayN

Well, no short, technically, but plenty of idiocy. I tested the other channel and it behaved properly, so I dug in a little and found I'd wired in the output capacitor backwards. Doh! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it works great now, and I felt safe enough to power it up...
  14. RayN

Ok, that makes sense. So I hooked up a junk 4-ohm speaker and fired it up. I've got it hooked to a DBT which lit up bright and I see 5.7v at the speaker terminals. Is it likely the DBT is preventing the caps from fully charging? I hesitate to run this outside the DBT until I'm sure I've...
  15. RayN

No load. And BTW all the voltages left of the big cap are spot on, according to the service manual.
Back
Top Bottom