Recent content by richinnc

1. richinnc

Pioneer RT 909 Capstan Motor Help??

I actually ended up ordering the MJE15033G transistors as I realized I needed to put an order in with Mouser anyway. I'm glad to hear you got your RT-909 working. After reading about the condition of your capstan motor I decided I pursue that a bit further. I had measured resistance across...
  2. richinnc

Pioneer RT 909 Capstan Motor Help??

Hi bbtv, I see you never received a response to your question. I discovered the same thing on an RT-909 I'm currently repairing. The capstan motor was not turning at all. I checked Q210-213 and found 2 were 2SB682 and 2 were the 2SB750 transistors. The specs of the 2SB750 are significantly...
  3. richinnc

Realistic STA 200 Blackface find, a question,,,,,

I know this is an old thread, but I picked up some 14v LED fuse lamps for my STA-200 and and they seem to work great. That was after trying several resistor/incandescent lamp combinations that failed to accomplish the job, The LED lamps, soft white, seem to be close to the correct intensity...
  4. richinnc

Scott T526 Tuner

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention that on several of the HH Scott receivers I've worked on (as well as MCS amps and tuners using the same meters), I often find the meters froze up. In some cases I was able to get the needles freed up and working again, in other cases no...
  5. richinnc

2SB89A replacement

I'm in the same boat and hoping someone here might have some insight. It would be a wonderful thing if there's a silicon replacement.
  6. richinnc

2SB89A replacement

I came upon this thread and was wondering if a good replacement for the 2SB89A was ever found. I'm working on a KA-2002 that has a bad 2SB56A. I've found a few 2SB56A and 2SB89A transistors available via the web but they're pricey. A silicon PNP replacement would be nice but I've not been...
  7. richinnc

Kenwood KA 7002 or KA 7100, keep which one?

I too have to chime in on this old threat. I've repaired, serviced, and used several KA-7100s and 3 or 4 KA-7002s. I think both are fine sounding amps and I really like both equally. The 7002 has a bit more warmth in my opinion and perhaps more depth. The 7100 seems a bit cleaner (which the...
  8. richinnc

Kenwood KA-4006 or KA-5700

I've refurbished both the KA-5700 and KA-4006 amplifiers and they are both solid performers. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one of these amps, however my personal preference would be the KA-4006. It has a warmer sound and the build quality is better in my opinion. Pair it with a...
  9. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Actually I was finally able to get access to the board with my scope probe and isolated the noise to the caps. It took a bit of finagling to get to the components but worked out okay. I changed the caps and the noise was gone. I then tested the caps on my capacitor checker and other than ESR...
  10. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Well, this Kenwood KA-5002 is finally repaired! Although the tantalum capacitors ended up being okay, two electrolytic caps on the low filter board were bad. I also soldered the input and output wire-wrap connections on the low filter board to ensure they weren't causing any issues. In a...
  11. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

I gave the normal/separate switch and "NULL" switch another deox treatment (4th one) and the amp seems to be staying quiet. I think the issue was a combination of the bad coupling caps and the two switches being extremely dirty. Great tip about the tantalum caps. I completely missed that...
  12. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Yes, I'm going to spray the normal/separate switch as well as the "NULL" switch again. Now it's dead quiet again.
  13. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Replaced all 4 coupling capacitors on the amp board inputs (1uf/25v - replaced with 1uf/50v, as it's what I had) and the amp was quite........ for about 3 minutes, then the noise just started again. Ugh. More troubleshooting.
  14. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Actually, although I did deoxit the switches and pots, the "NULL" button is noisy when depressing it, and sometimes when I would hold it in for a couple seconds the white noise/static would disappear. Coincidence? Maybe not. I need to read more about what the NULL button does. I know the...
  15. richinnc

Noisy Kenwood KA-5002

Okay, there are 2 coupling capacitors at the input of each channel on the amp board. I disconnected one leg of the first capacitor on both channels, thus opening the input path at that point, and the amp is dead quiet. So I'm getting close now, just a couple more steps and I should have the...
Back
Top Bottom