Recent content by Rick Vestal

1. Rick Vestal

HAIR METAL, list your one "guilty pleasure" tune!!

I have three songs in my "System Demo" playlist that sound fantastic... Honorable mentions TNT, Fates Warning, Dream Theater get regular play...
  2. Rick Vestal

What's your (current) dream car?

Not long ago, my dream cars were M cars, and while I love the 3 seconds to 60, I've REALLY been longing for something simple, maybe not fast, but classic. 80's 911, C1 Corvette, 69 Camaro. I kinda wish I had the extra garage space to restore a 67 beetle too. I think that'd be fun project to pick...
  3. Rick Vestal

“Fatiguing?”

This was my exact first thought. I have never encountered fatigue with equipment. I've heard unpleasant, but never anything that wore on me. HOWEVER, I have certainly encountered this on recordings where, how best to explain this, I started listening to the music, but the quality of the...
  4. Rick Vestal

Subtle Changes – Do We Hear Them, or is it Placebo Effect & Expectation Bias?

So you're saying that after the high end reviewers are done with their tests, they send the equipment to you... Tell us more... I'd like to hear this story
  5. Rick Vestal

Do Not Buy Mark Levinson 5101. Piece of Junk

I will never buy from Harmon Group, aka Madrigal ever again... I learned my lesson years ago. Imagine spending several thousand for a Lexicon player to find out...
  6. Rick Vestal

New method to hack into cars.

The hot thing to steal these days seems to be F150's in my locale. I'm so paranoid, I removed the manual latch for my garage door and put it in vacation mode when I go inside. My keys go to sleep when not moved. I see these Ring videos of cars being stolen, posted the next morning and I think...
  7. Rick Vestal

So I asked a 17 year old about some audio brands.

This hobby, just like any other, doesn't have some secret prerequisite knowledge that's required to be considered "in the gang." I like firearms, a LOT. Do I have knowledge of vintage firearms? Nope. I LOVE cars, do I know what engines came in every Nash from conception? Nope. Does my lack of...
  8. Rick Vestal

Parasound Price Increases

I'm saying this as a Parasound fan, putting the Halo at that price point is going to be bad. They're good, but not THAT good. There is a LOT of competition in that range. I've always considered Halo to be entry level higher end but they're going to have to step it up if they're going to compete...
  9. Rick Vestal

To sign with equipment or not to sign with equipment, that is my question

I don't list individual pieces but just brands. I'm sure I fall into the annoying category for many...
  10. Rick Vestal

Are class D amps any good?

Well poking around I couldn't find too much in the way of THD charts for any of the Crown XTi's, but i wouldn't expect anyone to go thru the trouble of critically measuring an amplifier designed for sound reinforcement. What I meant by my earlier statement is the topic of this thread, and many...
  11. Rick Vestal

Are class D amps any good?

Higher distortion? Ummmm... I don't think so... I think what a LOT of people get confused on is which application of Class D the discussion revolves around. Many associate Class D with subwoofer plate amps. Others, the small chip amps (Monoprice, Dayton, etc) while others think Crown rack gear.
  12. Rick Vestal

Let's See Your Miscellaneous Car Photos

Blue looks so good on these cars. Weather went from 15 degrees to 70 in less than a week so it was time to dust things off...
  13. Rick Vestal

Best, cost-no-object, two-channel system BUT...

What a pretentious thread filled with pretentious people. I don't like your shit. That's my choice. The point of THIS thread however was a money no object every item from the same manufacturer. Mc seems like the obvious choice as they have offerings from every category. I don't like McIntosh...
  14. Rick Vestal

HELP! - 1U Rackmount Preamp

https://parasound.com/200_Pre.php Been running one for some time in my office along with a New Classic 275. Love them both, especially the DAC. Deals on them come along pretty regularly...
Back
Top Bottom