Recent content by ridgeway

1. R

Is heat the standard by which to judge wher an amp is handling a 4 ohm load?

There's only one set of binding posts. I've got 2 of the amps so I use one on my 6 ohm speakers and one of my new 4 ohm passive subwoofers.The gain is set at be a bit below maximum on the subwoofers amp and about 60% on the speaker's amp (for volume matching). In use, both amplifiers reach...
  2. R

The amp says "8 ohm (nom)" and "4 ohm min" on the back. I assumed this to mean "designed for 8 ohm loads, please don't go below 4 ohms!" It's a low production, pro amp made by a small Australian company in the early 90s. Nice little thing, but the only search result you'll find for it is the...
  3. R

The amps have bodies made of heatsinks and are in open air, so temperature isn't a concern. I'm just seeking a metric to judge load stress. If an amp is warm (not hot) to touch, is it safe to assume that it's not going to kill itself from overworking a 4 ohm load?
  4. R

I'm using an 8 ohm nominal amplifier on 4 ohm speakers. Is the heatsink temperature the best way to tell whether the amp is happily taking the load?
  5. R

CD player makes a spinning noise when the laser moves

It is. it comes from a radio station too, so it may have had extended use. Not my only player, but it's cool enough that I'd prefer to use it as my main
  6. R

CD player makes a spinning noise when the laser moves

Denon DN-C635 The transport is nice and quiet when spinning regularly, but when the laser moves it makes a "spinning/reading" type noise briefly. Particularly between tracks and at the end of the cd Is there any particular part in the transport which may need attention? The sound is so...
  7. R

What's needed in a music subwoofer?

I've tried them between 0cm and around 1.5m. The frequency response changes, but I'm still unhappy with the bass. They may benefit from being moved closer together or further apart, but that's something to do when I recover from my injury. I'll be getting a sub to cover me below 40hz anyway. I...
  8. R

Just a 2285. Nothing special, but should be sufficiently powerful. The bass on an Ikon 6 mk1 dies at around 40hz (as measured by stereophile), which pretty much necessitates the need for a sub anyway. The "flub" may just be caused by the absence of deep bass that I'm used to hearing on my old...
  9. R

Same problem on a Marantz though. The components inside the amps are quite serious, and the specs are good
  10. R

The ikon mk2 have a rear port. mk1 have flared front port only Currently an anonymous pro-audio (rack mount) amp. Not a brand that can be found online. 130wpc and a big power supply. I've got two of them, so I'll either monoblock them for 400wpc, or (more likely) bi-amp. Dali gives a...
  11. R

Dali Ikon 6 mk1. Nothing special, but sound great to me (I love dali sound), except for the bass flub. They might be a bit small to produce bass into a large room. The complete lack of room treatment and the lack of effort in setup won't be helping with my bass response, but I wouldn't expect...
  12. R

Large room, have plenty of room for the sub. Budget isn't determined- but I'm not yet on the look out for a specific model recommendation- just an idea of what disqualifies subs for music. I look at the classifieds every day, and it's useful to be able to immediately rule out subs based off a...
  13. R

Side question- I want to power my speakers from my monoblocks, not the speaker jacks on the back of the amp. Do I need to buy a subwoofer with a high-pass RCA output?
  14. R

That's ported 12 inch? Does it sound tight? I want nice and tight, musical bass
  15. R

No smaller than 12 inch? preferably sealed? My speakers produce some bass, but it turns weak and flubby pretty quickly, so I'm in the market for a sub. What basic parameters can I use to quickly weed out the unsuitable subs? Fairly large space and I don't want to spend a fortune- just replace...
Back
Top Bottom