Share This Page

rmeade

Super Member, Male, from Bay Area

rmeade was last seen:
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    1. Meade
      Meade
      Regarding my forum name:
      My Mother said that Meade was her favorite Uncles name, but if so, her father must have been named after the Uncle also as his middle name was Meade. Both were probably named after the famous Civil War general George G. Meade. The name origin may be Spanish as the General was born in Spain. Do you have any history of your name?
    2. usedto
      usedto
      Mot me. You mean someone else uses that name?
    3. RoyC
      RoyC
      Bob,
      Since your woofers are not bouncing right back, you have achieved the optimal degree of cabinet "air tightness". I would not put anything on the surrounds.
      Too tight is not good either, as it can restrict bass response, especially at lower volumes. Speakers designs based on cabinet leakage ("aperiodic" designs) are some of the best I have ever heard. The bottom line is that totally "air tight" is not optimal either.
      Roy
    4. RoyC
      RoyC
      Hi Bob,
      I am not familiar with the drivers your are using, but any acoustic suspension woofer surround should not pass much air through it. I assume these are cloth surround woofers? How does the (installed) woofer react when pushed in? Does it return quickly, or somewhat slower than when it is outside the cabinet? I am pretty conservative about applying anything to a woofer surround when everything is sounding OK. Many later cloth surround woofers were actually tight enough, and do not require anything applied to the surrounds.

The "seal" is actually more important at very high volume levels, as it helps protect the woofer against excessive excursion. Bass response will seldom be subjectively "greater" with newly sealed surrounds, but CAN be less if the surround is made stiffer.
      Roy
  • About

Birthday:
    April 30
    Transportation Research
    Family, Friends and Vintage Audio

Signature

Yes, I am addicted to vintage speakers.
    I know I have a problem ... not enough amplifiers!