Recent content by Rob737

1. R

Raven Audio Osprey Review

A long overdue review...I’ve owned my Raven Audio Osprey integrated amp for almost six months now. My system is a hobbled together mix of of new and used. A Rega RP10 (Apheta 2 cart) feeds the Osprey through a used LKV Research Veros One phono section. The Osprey, in turn, powers used B&W CM10...
  2. R

How do you attach your speaker wire?

Old thread, but a common question for those new to vintage. The Pioneer SX-780 the op referenced has spring terminals as is the case with most (all?) 70s vintage Pioneer SX receivers. I feel you get the best connection to these spring terminals with bare twisted wire (not tinned or pins). This...
  3. R

Sx-1080 tech questions

Thanks for the reassurance. Took a closer look under the hood. The largest cap on the power supply has also been upgraded from 2200 to 3300 µfd, a nichon VX(M). The rest of the PS caps have been replaced with original µfd ratings and higher voltage, all nichicons...including 5 strategically...
  4. R

Sx-1080 tech questions

Okay. After further research, I'm concerned the higher capacity of the filters caps may be putting undue stress on the transformer as it charges them. Going from 22,000 mfd to 37,000 is a 68% increase. Could this have damaged the transformer and caused the hum???
  5. R

Pioneer SX-1050 New Case Project

Hey sawdust. What type of walnut are you using...is it black walnut? How are you finishing it? Will walnut lighten over time? I saw you were using 4" x 1 1/8" stock. Would other sizes as work as well? Of readily available material, what would be the best stock size? Thanks for all you do...
  6. R

Sx-1080 tech questions

Thanks for response. 1. Higher capacity would seem to be a good thing, but what is the limit before running into unintended consequences and sound degradation? All the recap lists on this forum specify original capacitance on the filter caps, thus my concern. 2. Good idea. Always best to...
  7. R

Sx-1080 tech questions

Hi all As background, I'm running my SX-1080 with some fairly high end modern gear which reveals even subtle changes. My questions: 1. My SX-1080 had the original 22000 mfd, 71 V filter caps replaced with 37000 mfd 75 V. What are advantages or disadvantages to this? What affect, even if...
  8. R

Newbie Need guidance finding info on SX-1080 repair

Never mind. Took the unit to a tech. Broken wire. Easy fix. 1080 is rocking again!
  9. R

Newbie Need guidance finding info on SX-1080 repair

Need help finding a link or info on troubleshooting the protection circuit for a Pioneer SX-1080. Tried searching. No luck. Thanks Rob
  10. R

Rob

Thanks! I love the world wide community here!
  11. R

Rob

Hi all! Rob from Arizona. Been lurking long enough...time to join. Outstanding forum. I recently re-discovered my high school Pioneer SX-780 and EPI 100s. I caught the vintage bug and have since acquired a 1080 (the one I really wanted in high school, but couldn't afford!) and a 1050...
Back
Top Bottom