Recent content by RobInONT

1. RobInONT

Jbl 4311 wx crossover caps

I have a pair of 4311’s and have read that the original caps in the crossover are mylar. Since they’re not electrolytics is there any good reason to replace them? The speakers sound very good as is but I’ve nothing similar to compare them with. Cheers, Rob.
  2. RobInONT

Vinyl Vs Spotify Home Test

Audio codecs have improved drastically over the last while. Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis, not Mp3. Actually, I think Mp3 has now been discontinued.( https://www.sciencealert.com/the-mp3-is-officially-dead-after-its-creators-abandoned-it ) You have just discovered how good a 320kbps file is. It’s...
  3. RobInONT

MP3 vs CD

I hear a lot of people claiming how easy it is to distiguish between high bitrate mp3 and cd...it’s not easy, it’s bloody hard. For those who claim they can easily differentiate on their system, there’s a thread available for you to demonstrate your superhuman abilities...
  4. RobInONT

Adding remote control volume to C28

Never tried this but was mentioned in a different thread, http://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-ir-remote/dp/79X4195?ost=50-8394&scope=partnumberlookahead&exaMfpn=true&searchref=searchlookahead&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fw%2Fsearch
  5. RobInONT

Opinions....

Sorry, don’t get your logic. $1400 is crazy restored or not.
  6. RobInONT

Opinions....

US$1400 for a 2270 is way high imo. That’s what I got for my mint 2385. For that kind of dough there are many other pieces I’d be considering ahead of a receiver.
  7. RobInONT

Amazon Echo Dot with my vintage system??

Fwiw I can’t hear any difference between chromecast, airport express or echo dot from their line out jacks.
  8. RobInONT

There is a work around for the echo dot jack shutting off the internal speaker if you’re willing to mod your dot. I didnt want to have to have the amplifier on all the time to hear alexa, so I modded mine to switch to internal speaker when the amp is off. I took a video showing how it works with...
  9. RobInONT

I have a dot connected to my vintage system (c28 + mc2125), sounds great for streaming spotify. I also bought a wifi plug and have the c28 plugged into it and use alexa to power it up (c28 have switched volume pot
  10. RobInONT

Has anyone switched from passive to powered speakers in their nearfield/small listening space?

I had a pair of jbl lsr6328p’s for several years. Pounded the snot out of them on many occasions. They were in no way cheaply built or unreliable. Sounded incredible but I finally caved to the wife and sold them to a recording studio in Toronto where they are still used daily. I replaced them...
  11. RobInONT

MX110Z outer glass restoration

I wonder if a black plastic decal cut by a sign-maker would look ok?
  12. RobInONT

JBL Control 30

Whoops, wrong forum. Meant to post in speaker forum. Can a mod move this?
  13. RobInONT

JBL Control 30

Hi, I picked up 3 of these and I want to install them in my shop. Played around with them yesterday and they seem lighter in the bass than the specs would suggest (-3db @ 40hz). I know they have transformers in them for 100v installs, but they also have a 4ohm pass through setting. I have them...
  14. RobInONT

Alexa for streaming?

I find the quality from the Echo is fine for streaming Spotify, even from my good rig. Some fellow did a FR comparison vs. a Chromecast Audio here: http://blog.petersobot.com/echo-dot-vs-chromecast-audio-an-evaluation and found them almost identical, though the Echo is slightly rolled off above...
  15. RobInONT

Alexa for streaming?

Anyone here use an echo with their music rig? I use an Airport Express for streaming Spotify. My kids gave me an echo for Christmas, and I connected it via aux out and it sounds comparable to the AE playing Spotify...haven't had a chance for a good listen though. Using the voice command for...
Back
Top Bottom