Recent content by Ross6860

1. Ross6860

OL Advent questions, please

One of mine has a tweeter repaired this way. Been playing that way for years.
  2. Ross6860

R.I.P. Dickey Betts

God's Band just got a bit better. He's playing with Duane again... I'm a hack guitar player and Dickey Betts was one of my favorites. Right up there with Billy Gibbons in my world. I've spent a lifetime trying to cop their licks.
  3. Ross6860

Bryston 3B vs Parasound 2125

I would jump on the Bryston if the price is right, and I use a Parasound pre-amp. Bryston are built like a tank. May need some caps. Bryston will probably still service it...
  4. Ross6860

OL Advent questions, please

My NLAs have the burlap-colored grills. All parts can be had from Parts Express. Try this site. https://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/cizek/advent_loudspeaker/advent_loudspeaker_schemati/ Not my work...but looks right from what I remember.
  5. Ross6860

Hoping for help finding single gang pot

Thanks. Could you use a fixed resistor (like 60% or 140k ohm) for the loudness circuit and a "standard" pot?
  6. Ross6860

What does that mean? How are the four taps connected to the pot? I understand two ends of the resistor, and a wiper for variable resistance. Where does the fourth connection go? I need a schematic for my feeble brain.
  7. Ross6860

Source for ALPS 250k Pot w/Loudness?

Can anyone provide a schematic for a pot like this? I have no idea how the "loudness" tap functions.
  8. Ross6860

What are the four connections? I'm only used to three. As you stated, CTS, Alpha, Bournes, etc make 250k pots all day. https://www.ctscorp.com/Products/Passive-Components/Potentiometers/Rotary-Potentiometers
  9. Ross6860

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

I didn't read all the posts. 100k miles was nothing in 1965, is nothing in 2024. Before I was 30, I never owned a vehicle that had LESS than 100k on it... A bit later in my career I drove 24k-30k miles a year, 70-20-10. 70% highway, 20% city, 10% off road. New truck every 5-6 years. So...
  10. Ross6860

The Bose 301 another opinion.

Love it when folks complain about a speaker, or other piece of equipment, whilst having their speakers shoved up against the wall, hardwood floors, picture windows in the room, and a stereo rack (worse yet, a TV) stuck between the two speakers, and an asymmetric room. They may be surprised just...
  11. Ross6860

I have heard some 901s with the correct crossover, in the right room, and they sounded fine. Not many folks have the room for 901s.
  12. Ross6860

Laugh if you like. The "Acoustimass System" in the Master Bedroom is still working after about 20 years... It's not leaving until it breaks. It's small and it works. If I want critical listening, I have a place for that. Would I buy another Bose product, no. Their customer service is...
  13. Ross6860

Acoustic Research AR4 XA

The couple AR speakers I've had were warmish with decent bass and "good enough" highs (AR-2a and AR-3a). You can do far worse than anything from AR's golden era. Fix them up and enjoy them. You can just bypass the pot to get them going. You can always add a resistor or replace the pots...
  14. Ross6860

Which of the catalogue selling-delivery companies from U.S.A. offered the best products?

When we were first married, a Sears credit card was the only credit we had. Auto repairs, tires, batteries, etc., major appliances, vacuums, etc. All stuff we couldn't afford to pay cash for... Sears and their credit were life savers. If you were a sportsman, Sears was also the cat's ass...
  15. Ross6860

Using Subwoofers or Large Woofers with Stand Mount Speakers for improved lower frequencies

Yes, stereo subs with either stand-mounts or Magnepans.
Back
Top Bottom