R
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi Roy Im told you may have a solution for my problem ive picked up a mint pair of ar 3as but both tweeters are gone ....I was told you may have the best solution......any info or help would be much appreciated as I really want to use these as my main speakers....What in your opinion is the best way to go if you dont have the originals thanks for your time Wesley....
    Hello RoyC,
    I've been reading about AR's and have a pair of 4x's I will be restoring, all original, only problem are the pots, I will clean them or replace as neccessary, My dilema as is most folks', the sealant used for the cloth surrounds. the surrounds are in great unmolested condition, but are very porous. Can you help me out with suggestions/solutions?
    Thanks,
    Fran
    After a little research I believe that the 12" woofer speakers are identical to the Fisher XP-7 woofer. These have alnico magnets, reverse roll surrounds. Later versions of the XP-7 (which had an additional letter designation ... like XP-7B) had butyl rubber surrounds.

Have not yet sealed them and they sound good to great.
    Yes the Fisher woofers have cloth surrounds. And the recovery rate installed is noticeably slower than when the speaker was alone, out of the cabinet. In comparison to my KLH 6, the weave of the fisher 12" speaker surround does seem lighter and tighter (silk like). So I think that I will hold off on applying any surface treatment. Thank you, Roy.
    Greetings Roy, I am interested in your perspective on the advisability of sealing cloth surrounds. I have a virgin 12" fisher woofer intended for a KS-2 kit speaker (1969 vintage), but apparently never installed or used. I installed it in a Philips Model Ah-477 acoustic suspension system. (The original Philips driver is missing). The speaker sounds good, really good. The system uses Philips tweeter and mid that are high quality. I installed my 12" fisher with an expectation that I would need to replace it. Experience suggests otherwise. So, should I seal it and if so how? I have the Orange speaker surround glue recommended by others for the job (something x49) of cloth surround dopant. But I noticed that you actually conducted some first hand research on surround dopants (TCSP). so, what are your thoughts? - Bob
    Hi Roy
    I was wondering if you could advise me on what to seal my KLH woofers with. I have 3 pairs of speakers that I would like to seal but I'm very hesitant to do so unless I can be assured that no damage will be done. I was thinking about using the orange county stuff, but I figured I'd ask you first.
    Thanks
    Eric
    hello royc i was told that you were the expert on klh redoping and was wndering what you recomended, mine have seen better days and have quite a few holes showing through in the fabric
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom