Recent content by ryanward84

1. ryanward84

Yamaha CR-1020

I sold my CR 1020 in good not great condition for $350 about 3 years ago. Wish I would have kept it. But I just scored an Onkyo A 10 for $300 so there are still reasonable prices out there if you get lucky!
  2. ryanward84

Vintage Yamaha Cartridge Pecking Order

It’s hard to go back to either of my budget MM carts after using the MC 3 this week. But I don’t want to wear it out, so I’m going to rotate them. Does anyone know approximately how many hours of use before a retip is recommended on the MC 3? I play mostly VG+ records.
  3. ryanward84

Yes, its very musical! The bass is an improvement over my Ortofon om10 and Vessel A3se as well.
  4. ryanward84

I picked up an MC 3 and paired it with my Denon DP 1200. Using the MC setting on my Onkyo A 10 and it sounds fantastic! This is my first mc cart as I’ve mostly used inexpensive AT and Ortofon carts before. The cantilever suspension seems fine. It tracks really well.
  5. ryanward84

How good is the Onkyo A-10

I just picked up an A 10 and it sounds great. It reminds me more of the Yamaha CR 1020 that I once owned than a Sansui 9090. What slightly lacks in warmth it makes up for with clarity and paired with warm speakers it sounds amazing. The bass is really tight.
  6. ryanward84

Power amp for new to me power hungry speakers

I had a lower end Kenwood integrated at one point but I can’t remember the model. I liked it so now im poking around the internet for a KA 7300, 7100 or 9100! There is also a Model 500 on the bay in Canada… hmm…
  7. ryanward84

Yeah i scored them for cheap, so they are taking me down the rabbit hole of how to best power them! I think the $6k version may be the “signature” and these are “standard” but they are still very nice speakers. I saw msrp around $2,500.
  8. ryanward84

OK, as you know this can be hard to put into words… but My favorite stereo has been a Yamaha CR 1020. It was fairly clean and had just a touch of warmth. I like something that has those characteristics. I like good tight bass and high end extension over great midrange but I had a Chinese made 6w...
  9. ryanward84

Sorry, i thought I answered earlier but I wasn’t explicit. The Distortion indicators on the front of the 535 amp have not lit up. :)
  10. ryanward84

I could see myself buying another 60w amp and inciting a mob in this thread! Haha
  11. ryanward84

You might be right about that… haha!
  12. ryanward84

Im learning a few things here. Thankyou. But yeah i know what the distortion lights on the front of the amp are… Still looking for something that just sounds better to me than the 535.
  13. ryanward84

Room is pretty big. About 12x15. Yeah it could be that the phono carts i use are in the 2.5 - 3mv range. So, more gain from volume knob is required.
  14. ryanward84

As with most anything there are a lot of reasons why the Adcom is great and reasons why I’d like something different. I just don’t get moved by it’s sound with my speakers. So on to something different. I used to have a Yamaha CR 1020 that I really liked. That’s why I mentioned the Yamaha.
  15. ryanward84

I’ve decided that i am moving on from the Adcom. the adcom has to be cranked up to over 50% to get decent volume for my liking. So now I’m considering a nice integrated amp. Possibly a used Rogue Audio Sphinx or a higher power vintage integrated like an Onkyo A-10 or Yamaha CA 1010.
Back
Top Bottom