Recent content by Sam08861

1. Sam08861

Capacitor suggestions for 1982 tape deck

Thank you again mcgjohn and dankik. Great tips and very helpful.
  2. Sam08861

Thanks Okke 70s!
  3. Sam08861

Many thanks dankik and great advice! Found some add'l discrepancies. The SM only lists one cap on the motor (PCB25) when in fact there are 3, as shown on the diagram and in the unit. One ceramic, 2 electrolytic, one of which is BP. Also, 2 add'l cap types found. Both labeled LN on the...
  4. Sam08861

Thaks mcgjohn! I've got the broken down for cleaning and servicing the transport so can go component by component. The 1st 2 I'd like to tackle are the main amp and playback amp sections. So, I'm thinking Orange Elna/polarized dark blue Elna (orange and purple circles) --> Wima...
  5. Sam08861

Many thanks Okke 70s. The schematic is pretty helpful with the playback and record signal plath and functions of the various sections, so ID'ing might not be too bad. Very helpful on the low ESR caps and the the Panasonic FC recommendation. If I am able to ID the functions: What migh you...
  6. Sam08861

Hi All, In process of rehabbing a HK CD401 tape deck and wanted your thoughts on the capacitors. There's 139 electrolytics in there, mostly TK brand and several of these have popped. What types of caps do you recommend for the various sections/value ranges/etc? More details here...
  7. Sam08861

Getting into compact cassette for playback... Advice on suggested features and some available options

That's what I ended up with! Picked up today and going through it now to order caps, test tapes. etc. I have a VTVM and O-scope, so I'm thinking with an inexpensive frequency counter, capacitors, items for test jigs in manual and some test tapes, I can still be close to my budget of $200...
  8. Sam08861

Playback of Dolby S / HX Pro / Chrome pre-recorded tape

I'm asking something completely different, but thanks, very helpful.
  9. Sam08861

Yes, aware HX is for hf extension, not NR. My question is more about the relative differences in playback, so not exactly sure what you're trying to say above. If you happen to have experience with how different the sound is played back, as B vs S for a S/chrome tape would be wonderful to hear...
  10. Sam08861

Many thanks! I'm leaning toward a higher quality dolby b/c/hx vs a run of the mill dolby S.
  11. Sam08861

Hi All, Stopped by a local salvation army after many years. No equipment, but some tapes. In the market for a compact cassette deck, so looked for about 30 seconds and saw a couple marked 'chrome' in the pre-recorded bin, so grabbed them just for fun, in anticipation of the tape deck...
  12. Sam08861

Power conditioners Snake oil?

I get piece of mind from my SurgeX SEQ. Have no real idea on the impact to sound. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEQ2U--surgex-seq-2u-14-outlet-20a-power-sequencer ~ $1800 new, but quite often easy to get on ebay for $100-200. (sales from regular server farm refreshes, etc) There's...
  13. Sam08861

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

Most of my listening is under 1 watt, even when it's somewhat loud. Woofer is over 96db for sensitivity and the horn 105db. That's an earful at 1 watt! I drive the woofers at 160watts/channel and the horn at 70wpc. (8ohm rms) I don't know if it's overkill, but my theory is those big...
  14. Sam08861

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

Apart from the popular songs, the remainder of the album is seemingly unknown to most folks. "Baby can I hold you" and "If not now" are simply emotional experiences every time I hear them and pretty well recorded.
  15. Sam08861

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

Paint away! You can always sand or reveneer pretty easily. (oem veneer is VERY thin though) Other than being original the, oem base is flimsy. Ok for a suspension table, but with a retro-mod fat tire style wheel for the idler, anti resonance counterweight (from dual 701) and 3 layer mdf...
Back
Top Bottom