Recent content by ScienceGun

1. ScienceGun

Kenwood KR-4070 stuck on headphones mode

So, it looks like it was the shaft after all. It wasn't connected to the knob anymore. I just wish I had realized that before I disassembled the whole dang receiver. I probably could have fixed the problem by removing the cover and using a pair of needle nose pliers to push it back in place...
  2. ScienceGun

So I have a real beginner-type question here... A couple of the lamps are blown on this unit. I understand I can replace them with LEDs, but I've never ordered such things before, so how do I know what I'm looking for? Is there like a particular size, voltage, etc, that will "match" the ones...
  3. ScienceGun

All right, thanks for the manual.
  4. ScienceGun

Unfortunately, I don't have a small set of speakers I could bring... And for safety reasons I prefer to meet in a public place, not a home. So it can be difficult to verify if something works ahead of time.
  5. ScienceGun

It clicks and stops just as you describe.
  6. ScienceGun

Big thanks! That may be just what I'm looking for.
  7. ScienceGun

Hello again, I decided to try my luck on Craigslist once more, and brought home a Kenwood KR-4070. Unfortunately it seems to have one major problem: the dial that is supposed to control whether it outputs to speakers A, B, or headphones does nothing. Twirl it all you like, it still only...
  8. ScienceGun

Technics SA-202: Very Fuzzy+Quiet Left Channel

None taken. Even though it's low-end, however, it would be nice to have it in good working condition for years to come. :idea:
  9. ScienceGun

That would be the place in Austin. 4.7 out of five based on 32 Google reviews, and 5 stars based on 38 Yelp reviews. The "big" place in Houston has a respectable 4 stars based on 120 Google reviews, but only two stars based on 16 Yelp reviews. The "little guy" in Houston has five stars based...
  10. ScienceGun

OK, folks, I have some options. There's a shop in Austin that will charge $300-$350 for a "full restoration." That means they will "replace all electrolytic capacitors in the amplifier stage, preamp / tone control board, and power supply. This is often referred to as recapping. We clean all...
  11. ScienceGun

Okay, thank you for your advice. I'm fortunate enough to have a few options that are... not local, but... within driving distance. 1.5 to 2 hours. I've already requested a "quick quote" from one place. We'll see what they have to say.
  12. ScienceGun

That's a given. I'm sure I could find a working one online on the cheap. But it wouldn't be my dad's old receiver. Which is the entire point. It's also one reason I'm hesitant to "buy a cheap multimeter and soldering iron and get stuck in." I'm sure it would be a "learning experience," but...
  13. ScienceGun

Like I said, I'm an uneducated rube. I don't know what that means. My two questions are: 1. Can I fix it myself? (doubtful) 2. How expensive will it be to get someone else to fix it?
  14. ScienceGun

Howdy folks, I'm back with the same problem on a different receiver. This time it's a Technics SA-202. The audio is very fuzzy/staticy in the left channel, and much quieter than it should be. I've cleaned the sucker out with compressed air and applied Deoxit to the pots and switches. I also...
  15. ScienceGun

Harman/Kardon 330c - Intermittent audio in left channel

Interesting. My dad's old Technics receiver should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I think what I'll do first of all is see if I can get that up and running. I hear the SA-202 is kind of garbage, but unlike the 330c, it has sentimental value--so I might want to get it repaired, if...
Back
Top Bottom