Recent content by Shakedown

1. Shakedown

Rattling noise from Teac reel to reel deck?

I've run extensive tests and I've come to the conclusion that MCI heads are automatically better than Teac heads every time. For one MCI's heads made by Applied Magnetics are metal heads, where as the heads used on consumer or prosumer models like the Teac 7030 are Ferrite. They were marketed...
  2. Shakedown

Cassette decks with most easily accessible play azimuth screw?

I've lately been searching out for models where playback azimuth can be changed the easiest. I am excluding auto/manual knob control decks like Naks. All cassette decks have playhead azimuth screws, but as I understand there have been models where adjustment screws are easier to get at than...
  3. Shakedown

are aiwa decks good? need info

Sorry folks. Decided to cancel the test and cut my loses and have since sold it. I had a choice to sell the Kenwood or Aiwa and chose to keep the Kenwood. I want to eventually invest in a Dragon or Marantz because I love the NAAC system. I have a ton of tapes recorded on a wide variety of...
  4. Shakedown

VHS for audio recording

I found the most amazing thread about audio recording with HiFi for those interested in Panasonics. 298 pages in Russian so brace yourself. I translated it. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://hi-fidelity-forum.com/forum/thread-3905.html Alex.A: "Panasonic...
  5. Shakedown

VHS for audio recording

I own this but I'm not going to get a chance to really use it before I need to sell it unfortunately. Hoping to find one again in the future! Had planned on making recordings and archiving audio off tapes with it but putting the project on hold. The Sony 5600/5800 is apparently the greatest...
  6. Shakedown

Now did they ever sell audiophile commercial releases of music on type II or III cassette in the 80's?
  7. Shakedown

Does R2R sound better than Cassette?

It depends on the two categories of reel to reel. In 2014 I decided to buy my first reel to reel deck for the home. I went through Akai, two Panasonics, and finally landed on Teac 7030GSL to my liking. In 2017 I bought an MCI JH110 I use for 10.5" reels. First I would just like to say this. The...
  8. Shakedown

All I can say is thank the lord I never got into cassettes, because I heard adjusting azimuth on those are even more tricky. At least with RTR the adjustments are right in the front and you just take off the cover. I was reading an interesting article today...
  9. Shakedown

So the more I have spoken with studios, the more information I got about flat spots or head grooves causing damage to tape passing through. That more or less has to do with studios that remain loyal to one brand of tape, and then want to switch over to another brand of tape but find out that the...
  10. Shakedown

Sad to report. Unfortunately I have a ton of recordings made on a deck that I did not calibrate. When I play them they are noticeably off. My goal this year is to archive them all and get the most out of them. I originally bought the Teac to use as a means to archive my prerecorded tapes. My...
  11. Shakedown

Thanks for replying. If you a have some tapes that were recorded on decks that I did not get calibrated before recording, and you want to play them back with the correct azimuth, what's the closest way you can get them accurate again? My understanding is a scope only works with a solid tone...
  12. Shakedown

By the way, does anyone know if these Teacs can be laid flat or are they meant to be upright?
  13. Shakedown

You put into better words my thoughts. So in theory when you have a group of tapes from multiple machines, they could have all been set slightly different when they were recorded. Which in theory gives you various optimal azimuth adjustment that could make slight differences, especially if they...
  14. Shakedown

Sent to me today for wire headphone adapter as shown. TRS plug to headphone amp out TRS jack to headphones. Inputing a 1 Khz tone should play back sounding like bacon frying if all is tuned up. Like hearing the magnetic particles themselves.
  15. Shakedown

Now is it also true that different tape can have a different optimal azimuth? The tapes I have to answer that question were recorded on many different machines. Studer, Ampex, Akai, MCI, Teac. Many different brand of tape. Recorded with equipment that were calibrated a lot differently I can...
Back
Top Bottom