Recent content by shawnra

1. shawnra

Altec 604-8K, Electrovoice DL18MT build

So I decided to come at this from a different angle and just focus on room response. I am still trying to figure out REW and it has an impulse response feature that can derive just speaker response without room interaction but it takes a while to learn and setup. not sure I want to put that much...
  2. shawnra

Ahhh I figured it out. because i don't have a cal file for my USB mic I'm gonna have to get a SPL meter to set up the reference point with the REW software. Ah well what can you do. Still an amazing sounding speaker. Maybe I'll get to it another day. Always one more thing EH.
  3. shawnra

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ Room EQ Wizard is a good standard in the freeware World when it comes to room measurement, or so I've heard I'm still working hard at learning how to use it properly, I'll email them and see if they have a reason for the dBA being greater than the dBC. More than...
  4. shawnra

I used a type of smoothing called "physoacoustic". that may have something to do with it... otherwise I'm not sure. like I said in an earlier post I'm very new to REW, if you have experience with it please give me some pointers on getting more accurate measurement files and graphs.
  5. shawnra

Thanks for your compliments guys, much appreciated. off to listen to some more music :-)
  6. shawnra

I'll have to say it has taken longer to tune them (find phase, crossover frequency, gain settings, slopes) then it was to actually build them. A very involved process and these are by far the best sounding speakers I've ever owned (and I've owned a ton). some of the peaks in the upper spectrum...
  7. shawnra

I don't know much on how to use REW room analyser but I kinda did a sweep of my speakers in my room and this is the averaged graph that I got. Any tips on how to use it are much appreciated
  8. shawnra

stay tuned because I've been working on a custom amplifier to power these speaker. it's a big project so I've been working on it for about 4 months, should be done in a couple more. made from 6 UCD180oem modulus I'm using a kaurtlotron buffer to drive the high pass modulus with a custom ad797...
  9. shawnra

well I'm gonna call this build done! wow what an awesome project and I couldn't be happier with the sound. I the end I lightly stuffed the mid high opening with loose poly fill. I'm still trying to get my XTZ analyzer up and going to post some visuals but other than that I'm gonna leave it...
  10. shawnra

well you gotta love it when a plan comes together. in the end the front baffle is 2.25 inch thick sandwich of mdf,particle board, mdf. I was on holidays so I actually managed to finish them to the point where I can start testing them. the last will be to make a nice grill for them. I need some...
  11. shawnra

I need help ... ribbbon tweeter crossover on Kenleigh speakers

maybe you're reading them in the wrong direction? or... often one of the bands can denote tolerance or wattage with bigger type resistors.
  12. shawnra

I have an XTZ room measurement kit that I'll use to take some room and integration test with. I'll try to post the results.
  13. shawnra

"You could do a B6 type of alignment with a boost filter such as used on the EV Interface line." Please do tell more, web reference or maybe some background on how to design one.
  14. shawnra

I plan on putting an L-Pad on the Altec driver before the crossover so when I go passive I can compensate for the efficiency difference. The power handling of the drivers isn't really too much of a problem here, they are just for my living room. what I'm going for is a very live, open and...
  15. shawnra

update well I've been on holidays so i can get more done on this project. I originally got the idea for an open backed bass mid from a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's I owned back on 1993. I thought they had the best sounding mid-range I'd ever heard and I surmised that it was because of the open...
Back
Top Bottom