Recent content by Sir.Byrd

1. Sir.Byrd

Happy Birthday Sir.Byrd!

I was 14 but started out in vintage audio when I was 13! I check in from time to time. This year for my birthday I went on a hike to the top of Mount Constitution on Orcas Island and it just about did me in with all the slush and ice!
  2. Sir.Byrd

Happy Birthday Sir.Byrd!

Thanks! I'm still alive for now...
  3. Sir.Byrd

Hi, I don't have a schematic for this, you can download the brochure here though...

Hi, I don't have a schematic for this, you can download the brochure here though https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/amber/series-50b.shtml
  4. Sir.Byrd

Hi, I probably had the schematic for the regular 7 crossover posted, the 7WA is going to be...

Hi, I probably had the schematic for the regular 7 crossover posted, the 7WA is going to be broadly similar but probably not a drop-in replacement as far as values due to the different tweeters.
  5. Sir.Byrd

Happy Birthday Sir.Byrd!

Hey everyone, thanks for the birthday wishes! I know I'm a little late. I'm still alive! Haven't been building much, I'm too happy with my Yamaha NS-670s!!!
  6. Sir.Byrd

JVC/Nivico GP-1E speakers

Not sure about replacements, but based on how they are used here it shouldn't be impossible to just get them reconed. Since they are a paper cone it shouldn't be hard to pretty closely match the original specs if you have it done at a reputable shop.
  7. Sir.Byrd

More likely if you have one that doesn't work at all (as in, zero output from any driver) it's a wiring issue or connector issue. The crossover on these has the woofers full range and a 2nd order filter on the tweeters. If the caps go bad and fail open circuit then you will lose tweeter output...
  8. Sir.Byrd

You may also have luck finding a loose pin that fits and making a custom cable with the conductors soldered into two or more loose pins. Think like a mini banana plug. This assumes your female connectors are still in good shape. You'd have to heatshrink all exposed metal to avoid shorts.
  9. Sir.Byrd

This is the link for the male connectors, looks like they are out of stock, maybe NLA https://wellgainelectronics.com/relay-sockets/31440-oem-vso-4pm-octal-connector.html and the set of male+female https://wellgainelectronics.com/relay-sockets/31445-oem-vso-4pf-4pm-octal-connector.html There is...
  10. Sir.Byrd

Happy Birthday Sir.Byrd!

Thanks everyone! So far it's been nice and I just woke up!
  11. Sir.Byrd

Infinity RS-IIIa value

I would use aleene's tacky glue on these. Just scrap the old stuff off with a sharp flat x-acto blade and glue ontop of a clean base layer of adhesive. Don't use alcohol on the cone or else you may need to use a stronger adhesive. It's fine use on the basket but not necessary if your knife is sharp.
  12. Sir.Byrd

Look into plating as well to see if it's in your budget, yellow zinc electroplating could be a cool look as well.
  13. Sir.Byrd

Those look like they are in great shape! Why are you powdercoating them? Are you doing a different color? While you have them apart, you may want to replace the capacitors inside. I think there are two 1uF caps in each one.
  14. Sir.Byrd

Yeah, you just need to remove the stands, loosen the connecting rod that goes between the two so that you can remove both end caps, and you should be able to remove the grills from the hemispheres. You won't need to separate the actual enclosure, the metal grills should slide off with a solid...
  15. Sir.Byrd

Happy Birthday to Sir.Byrd

Thanks everyone! Here is a teaser of what I have been working on lately:
Back
Top Bottom