Recent content by Snerp

1. Snerp

Interesting Vintage DIY Speakers

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Any idea on what the model numbers would be for the peerless drivers? Anyone have any suggestions for replacement woofers? I'd like to keep the price tag reasonable. Also, should I look at replacing any xover components, or should I just roll...
  2. Snerp

That's good news! They caught my eye. Any idea how I can ID them? The little info I could on the woofers suggested they were decent. I'm not sure if the would be worth reconing though. Any idea about those mids? They almost look like marine speakers with those cans like that. I think I have a...
  3. Snerp

I picked up some beat up speakers today. Got them for free, so I figured It'd be worth messing with them. Apparently the previous owner had a friend build the box and then had pacific audio build the x-overs and install the speakers. The cabinets remind me of a 70s Infinity tower. That along...
  4. Snerp

Franken-Thiel .04a Speakers - The Madness

Thanks for the compliments. I wasn't sure how these speakers would be received. Especially with the ground down tweeter. Since I am considering recapping anyways, should I mess with the cap values on the tweeter?
  5. Snerp

Franken-Thiel .04a Speakers - The Madness

Okay. I am like a crazy cat lady...but with speakers. I take the ugly, gimpy, broken, garbage that no one else wants and dump way too much money into them. Part of it is so I can listen to different types of speakers. I also love the idea of saving gear from the dump. Finally, I am stubborn and...
  6. Snerp

Dome Tweeter Foam?

How would I go about doing that?
  7. Snerp

Dome Tweeter Foam?

I compared them and they seemed pretty close. What do you think?
  8. Snerp

Dome Tweeter Foam?

I'm pretty sure the foam is what killed these. The gap is full of foam fuzz. I did some more research and it turns out the replacement voice coils will not work. These bad boys are dead. :( I'm just going to cut out the hole on my Thiel .04a speakers and use the HD13D34H. Maybe I can shim them...
  9. Snerp

B&W DM14 Protection Circuit Delete

Sound improvement. Bypassing the relay will make a more direct output. It's the same idea as bypassing fuses.
  10. Snerp

Dome Tweeter Foam?

Hey guys. I'm messing around with some polydax HD13D34E & HD13D34H tweeters. I have seen a lot of people saying they weren't repairable. I also hear the TWO34XO is the same tweeter. There are voice coil replacements for the TWO34XO. I found two for $40 shipped so I figured I would give them a...
  11. Snerp

That is the proposed schematic. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm having a tough time finding the regular crossover drawing. Was going to post it to compare. I found another thread that said remove the relay and bridge it. I'll give it a go.
  12. Snerp

I'm looking to nix the protection circuit in a pair of B&W DM14 speakers. I found a post here on AK by shamrock. that had a drawn schematic. Apparently he got it from another user. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/b-w-dm14-crossover-recap.632375/ He never said if it did or...
  13. Snerp

Power Capacitor Questions

That makes sense. Thank you.
  14. Snerp

Power Capacitor Questions

I just got a Kyocera A-710. It has the issue with glue turning conductive. I plan on recapping while removing the glue. Over the years I have heard a lot of people say there is no real benefit to replacing the big power caps. I've also heard the opposite. I'm not looking for a big debate, but...
  15. Snerp

KG4 Upgrades and Surrounds

Finally got them both finished up! Man the extra height really helps. I'm probably going to sell them, but with a very heavy heart and likely at a loss. They do sound amazing though. I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find this kind of quality in another speaker at the same price point.
Back
Top Bottom