Recent content by steve59

1. steve59

Is MQA in your Future?

I know nothing about digital. I did ask on the science based audio forum if anyone conceded that modern dac's have improved the quality of sound from the first gen of cd players. If I understood correctly the experts stand firm that 16 bits is better than people can hear and even hi rez is just...
  2. steve59

Mcintosh MC901

WOW, It's products like this that would get into my head and spark my lust for a hifi stereo of my own. Things that seem out of reach while raising a family become less so when that job is done. I doubt my sensibilities would ever let me spend $35k on amps, but a few years ago I thought I'd...
  3. steve59

Reasons to upgrade from the c49 to the c2700

I've heard nothing but good things about the Esoteric N05 and if it sounds half as good as it looks it's a winner. I'm curious if other than tubes over transistors all the other parts inside a Mac preamp share the same quality? Tell me if i'm wrong that the only difference between the c49 and...
  4. steve59

Reasons to upgrade from the c49 to the c2700

My system is a pair of Kef Blades, 2 Mc611's and a c49. Most of my playback is fm radio for background listening and streaming when focused listening. I'm aware of the dac2 upgrade option for the c49. I guess what I want to know is if there's an obvious audible difference with the tube pre or...
  5. steve59

C53 Distortion on voices

10k is pretty high fq. I'm going to trust that you started at 1khz and tried turning each volume knob down one at a time? I have tinnitus and when I brought my mac gear home I loved it, I did have to turn the treble down 2 db on my c49 to smooth out the top end. 2db isn't much but it worked with...
  6. steve59

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

I'm really, really impressed with the low volume dynamics, control and detail I get from this system using between .6 to 6 watts! I never tried Mac before because dealers were so strict with the pricing. I'm glad I took the plunge.
  7. steve59

Fisher XP 95C Speakers - Good or not so good?

big bump! never thought I'd find anyone asking about these speakers. I bought a pair in the early 80's at a venture store and managed to move them to 3 different states and a dozen homes. $250 a pair and I think I may have even gotten them a bit less on sale. Back then most affordable speakers...
  8. steve59

New Speaker Recommendations

That's a decent size room. I think the Dali oberon 9 for $2k a pair would satisfy in the bass dept, They don't cause listener fatigue like horns tend to.
  9. steve59

Neutral Floor Speaker Recommendations

the watt puppies had a rep for being a bit bright and unforgiving. They were considered good studio monitors in their day for their revealing nature. I've seen the latest series 6 or 8 for under a grand, but I would rather own some dali oberon new with warranty for the same $$$
  10. steve59

mission 765 i 2 way reflex. just bought some

The rear ported 765 could really deliver the bass. I think they were a bargain at $1799 pr
  11. steve59

Pretty sad for Revel speakers

I try to keep things in perspective. If I was putting a 2 way system together for roughly $5000, A large stereo investment for the average household, the m128be would leave me $1000 for components while the R3 would leave me $3000. While I haven't owned the m128be I've owned 3 other pair of...
  12. steve59

Longevity of active speakers

I went active dsp after listening to the way different components affected hi end loudspeakers, it was silly how bad the drop off was when i brought those speakers home and connected them to my reasonably affordable components. At least with active i'm more likely to like them at home if i like...
  13. steve59

High end $10,000 amp owning wanna-be's...

The 70's receivers were underrated for sure, but when I upgrade my speakers I love to try as many components as I can because sometimes there's a combination that brings the system above the sum of its parts.
  14. steve59

Pretty sad for Revel speakers

I would love to see the persona b in this comparo, and maybe the kef r3
  15. steve59

Actual driver size

A lot of companies use wood screws to mount the drivers and I always appreciated KEF attention to detail in using a clean look to secure their drivers, but these latest models even hide the surround!
Back
Top Bottom