Recent content by SteveA

1. SteveA

Right Speaker Popping

Could be a dry joint. Amp heating up could cause the delay till it starts making a noise. Had the same problem years ago with an Akai receiver. Found problem component by poking about with a plastic stick while it was running then turning it off and resoldering the suspect component legs.
  2. SteveA

How do YOU match amps to speakers?

I find some music with prolonged complex bass passages (used Grace Jones last time). If the amp is not up to the task these passages will sound muddled and you will not be able to distinguish individual bass notes. When the amp is capable of suitably manhandling the speakers this confusion (a...
  3. SteveA

Pioneer PL-71 - Issue with tone arm.

In my case there was a single screw on the under side of the arm. Once that was removed the socket/end of the arm just slid out. Maybe someone has super-glued your one in.
  4. SteveA

Pioneer PL-71 - Issue with tone arm.

Has the tonearm been rewired? If so, it is possible that too much heat was applied to the pins when the new wires were soldered on and the plastic the pin slides through has melted (talking experience with PL-71 here). Only remedy is to work it back and forward a lot to free it up (wear the...
  5. SteveA

The biggest and baddest CD/DVD/SACD Players of all time

Naim CD555. Lower box is power supply. Now discontinued
  6. SteveA

How many have speakers toed in?

Yes. Aimed at a point about 1m behind my head.
  7. SteveA

Anybody here actually use the MUTE feature?

Used to use it when I had a tuner connected up. So probably not for the last 5 years.
  8. SteveA

Do you use a subwoofer with music? Why or Why Not?

Don't find I need to.
  9. SteveA

TT speed - how far off is acceptable?

Sound like belt might be right length but too thick.
  10. SteveA

Locked threads

Used to hang into the locked threads but since I got Netflix, not so much.
  11. SteveA

Chris Pops over for Another Listen . . .

Mood, mood, mood. It always gets louder as you get into it.
  12. SteveA

What cartridge are you currently using on main deck

Dynavector XV1s on a WT Versalex.
  13. SteveA

Hi-Fi that disappointed you!

I had a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk 2. I thought they were great until a friend got into designing and building his own speakers. These were all sealed units so no ports like the Contours. He built several different designs ( only ever 1 of each usually) and I got to try them all but the...
  14. SteveA

What is that one thing you own that suprised you the most.

Phono amp. Was convinced that an expensive phono amp could not possibly be 'that much' better than my Dynavector P75 Mk1 which cost only 15% as much. Ignorance may well have been bliss but I ended up accepting offer to try the one I was casting doubt over at home for a week. Expensive decision.
  15. SteveA

How many use some sort of measurements to optimize their systems?

Used a SPL meter (with measurements manually put into spreadsheet), a tape measure, a bubble level and a laser pointer to set up my speakers. That's it.
Back
Top Bottom