Recent content by SteveMurphy

1. SteveMurphy

Pustelniakr's Main Rig

Rich- I have some similar components in your system; Spec 1, Spec 4, 9500 II tuner, CT 9191 cassette, RT701, and PL630 that go through 2 JBL ti240s. I saw you listed a Benz micro silver cart. I'm shopping for a cartridge for my PL630 once I'm done recapping it (It will replace my Technics...
  2. SteveMurphy

Pioneer PL-630

Really enjoying my new addition. Can't hear much difference between this table and my Technics SL-1401. Considering that the Pioneer has VTA and the Technics doesn't, this one is now first string...plus it looks pretty nice with my other Pioneer Spec gear.
  3. SteveMurphy

Scored a Pioneer pl630...only there's a prob

Ok. I hit it with a hair dryer for about a minute and it came right off. Shaft has yellowish sticky film all over it - probably the same (its hard to see) inside the counter weight as well. I'll clean all surfaces and then use some oil to lubricate. Back in business!
  4. SteveMurphy

Yeah, that's not where the turntable will end up. Im comparing two tables right now. Anyway, I tried deoxit (read another post where this was successful at loosen it.) No luck for me. Any other ideas?
  5. SteveMurphy

I got a pl-630 today that has a Shure M44E cartridge with a slightly bent stylus. The 630 is in amazing shape and all operations are functional. The lift, swing to the album, and drop are very smooth and nice to watch. The return trip to the arm rest, however, is a little bumpy on the way back...
  6. SteveMurphy

To DAC or not to DAC

I definitely would want to capatilize on Tidals mqa format.
  7. SteveMurphy

To DAC or not to DAC

I really need some help from some DAC experts. There are so many DACs available, I'm just not sure what to get and don't want to make costly mistakes buying the wrong thing. Most appear to be headphone amps which is not what I want and keeping the price south of $1000 I have a vintage Pioneer...
  8. SteveMurphy

Long Live Rock & Roll and JBL L100s

My listening room/auditorium. I'm blessed with a huge living room, a room the JBL 240ti's and L100's have no problem filling with music. I'm in total love with the 240ti's. They sound amazing. For the first time I got the L100's off the floor. I stacked them on top of the 240ti's, put on some...
  9. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

Sounds good. I have one more night shift (tonight) then I'll do some debugging Tuesday.
  10. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

I found a replacement 059 board on Ebay for $29. I thought it might be helpful and possible a relay replacement if I need it. -Steve
  11. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

VR 301 sounds great...which is good as I was beginning to wonder if my test wire patch to the guitar amp was any good...it is good. TP 302 has some hints music, barely audible compared to TP 301 almost just like high freq ticks to the drum beats on the music. I get similar sounds at both tp301...
  12. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

Well, I opened the rec relay and lightly cleaned the contact points with 1000 grit paper, then cleaned points with alcohol to get any grit off that might be there. Now both channels sound dirty!!! Recleaned contacts ( very carefully) and I still have 2 dirty channels...sounds the same as TP...
  13. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

Test point 301 sounds bad...distorted similar to left channel sound.
  14. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

Ok. No on the transistors. I have a small guitar amp that I can rig for output sound so I can check for distorted signal. I'm now seriously thinking about an O scope. I've always wanted one...maybe its time to join that club.
  15. SteveMurphy

Pioneer 701 Slow Running

No O scope. Maybe someday. I was reading a few other posts (mostly regarding the 707s) about bad/cheap transistors on the Mic amp board...board 065...both the 701 and 707 share this same board...it has the Mic level and line level pots. Reported problems are hiss/distortion on one channel only...
Back
Top Bottom