Recent content by StuartB

1. StuartB

Arm lift for AR XA

Thank you. That is a good look that in my opinion matches the simplicity of the XA.
  2. StuartB

Arm lift for AR XA

He is more looking for a cueing lift. I thought of the Little Fwend, but the end of album lift is not the primary thing. Thanks
  3. StuartB

Arm lift for AR XA

Looking for recommendations and AK experience with adding an arm lift to a stock XA. I didn’t find much in a search so thought I would post the question. A friend is looking to add an after market lift, and I am not sure what is out there, or what you would recommend as cost-effective and...
  4. StuartB

Need Info on Monitor Audio MA 1200 Gold

My first real introduction to good speakers were a pair of Monitor Audio MA700 gold speakers. 2-way British stand mounted speakers in the mid-90s in Tulsa, OK. They were wonderful, and if I dare say "magical". About 20 years later one of the woofers developed a voice coil rub. I foolishly sold...
  5. StuartB

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

How easy is it to remove? If it was me, I would do my best to get rid of it all. The XA is such a simple, elegant table, that clay material would drive me crazy.
  6. StuartB

True that.
  7. StuartB

AR XA Restoration Refurbishment

Yes, I use the same size jewels from the same source
  8. StuartB

The Exposure Thread - Welcome Exposure Fans!

You are wise to take the time and lucky to have the opportunity to audition equipment. Your system sounds to be exquisite. Congrats!
  9. StuartB

AR XA Restoration Refurbishment

The XA delrin pivot cups can be replaced by sapphire jewel cups. It is relatively easy if you take your time. You can contact me or @Hose53 as well as others if you want assistance. The AR turntable thread is long, but there is also a ton of information and wisdom in there. I also encourage you...
  10. StuartB

Here are a few. Marc's earliest efforts used round lead weights. He ended up preferring rectangular weights that were easier to mount and balanced the weight better. The walnut plinth was built by a member here. It is 4" high. You can also see the motor bracket Marc added to make the motor even...
  11. StuartB

I am trying to recall some of my early conversations with Marc Morin. He was such an intelligent man/engineer. My recollection was that his epiphany was driven by the value of adding weight to the suspension...changing resonance characteristics, lowering the center of gravity, adding solidarity...
  12. StuartB

AR XB turntable with some problems

Oh, got it. Yes, you can add mass to the pulley, but it needs to be balanced. Perhaps that is part of the wobble you are experiencing. Replacing it may solve several issues. Good luck.
  13. StuartB

AR XB turntable with some problems

I would definitely replace that pulley before taking any other major steps. It could create or mask other issues. On the motor, have you run oil in it for extended period of time? I usually will put a drop or two on the spindle and let it run overnight. Then use a Q-Tip to clean off the excess...
  14. StuartB

AR XA Tonearm Receptacle Fix/Replacement???

Well done @TomD62!
  15. StuartB

This is correct when using an original AR headshell.
Back
Top Bottom