Recent content by supergilson

1. S

custom 80s era center channel idea

Well, symmetry, box shape, and condition of the old boxes.
  2. S

custom 80s era center channel idea

I am using Polk rta 15lt in my front and rta 11tl in the back. Of course, there are no center channels from that era. I had the idea of using two drivers and a tweeter from a pair of Polk 5jr bookshelf speakers to make an 8 ohm center channel in a custom cabinet. (Using the 4 ohm drivers in...
  3. S

odd sx-1050 issue with bottom cover

Update: the issue was not a short. The bottom cover pushed on the transformer wires, one of which was loose on the board. That's why it just cut power to some boards and the indicator lights stayed on.
  4. S

I did rule out the screws. I believe it was the shield on the equilizer amp a bit loose pushing into some wires when the cover pressed against it.
  5. S

popping preamp

I did pop open and spray the relay, but I didn't scrub it hard. I will try again. Also, now that I remember it, I had a problem like this in my 1250 once and it was the speaker selector switch. It was literally the last thing I checked.
  6. S

popping preamp

I think it's odd how spiking the volume "blows out" the noise.
  7. S

popping preamp

I have an occasional issue with the left channel of my sx-1050 getting scratchy. I thought it was a dirty balance knob, but it still does it after a good cleaning. 3 out of 4 times it starts up fine. 1 out of 4 times the left channel is low and scratchy - and when you turn up the volume it pops...
  8. S

Indeed the bottom was warped. I tucked the wires in all nicely when it was off, straightened the cover, also noticed the eq amp cover was pushing on some wires and straightened that out. It works now. I just have no clue what was shorting - especially since it wasn't catastrophic! Thanks for...
  9. S

I have a 1050 that has been sitting around for a while, and I decided to service it. (The balance control is scratchy, it needs a cleaning.) It doesn't like it when the bottom cover is on! It won't come out of protection and the lamps won't light. The indicator lights DO light. As soon as the...
  10. S

SX-950 power amp repair

I got another 950 for the collection, dead on arrival. On the power amp, R39 grounded out on the nearby heat sink. I replaced that resistor, the outputs, the trim pots, and all the transistors and caps while I had it out. I used: 512-KSA992 for Q1,3 512-KSA1381 for Q5 512-KSC-3503 for Q7...
  11. S

SX-1250 Filter caps

There's a guy on eBay selling a sx-5590 with EKMH800VRT223MB80T filter caps. The specs look right, but they're tiny. Is there any other reason other than aesthetics that those would not be an appropriate replacement?
  12. S

sx-950 power supply help

The trimmers are correct. I made that mistake once. Considering the voltages wouldn't cause the problem, and it is on both boards, I just need to find what is likely my mistake. For that, I probably don't need to power it up. Thanks for the help!
  13. S

sx-950 power supply help

Both sides acting the same. I need to check to see if I made the same mistake on both sides. Outputs are new also. I used mj21195g and mj21196g.
  14. S

sx-950 power supply help

The 13 volt zener was the problem. Until I could order a new one, I swapped in a 13 volt zener from a sx-1050 parts unit. I am getting -46.8 volts at pun 15, but +49.7 at pin 7. Those run to the power amp boards, which are giving me some bad numbers on DC offset. (18 volts) Would those...
  15. S

sx-950 power supply help

That did the trick, but now it's clicking in and out of protection. Do you think sending 50 volts to the protection board hurt something? Keep in mind, it's coming off a major rebuild of the power amp.
Back
Top Bottom