Recent content by swd

1. S

My MX110 is finally coming home!!!

No, the pre amp is a different circuit than the C22.
  2. S

Your First Serious and Current attempt at High End Audio!

My first attempt in my mid 20's was in the early 90's. A McIntosh C28 into a JBL power amp with a huge set of Celestions. It was followed about a year later by a McIntosh MX110z with a Mc225, a Thorens TD125 and a pair of bookshelf AR's. A big step up in sound. I still have MX110z and Mc225
  3. S

Poll: What Was Your First McIntosh?

The poll doesn't have my option. I have an MX110z and a MC225 I bought together about 30 ago.
  4. S

Mono Blocks.. pic’s thread. Let’s see them

I’ve had these for 7-8 years. Affectionately known as Pass Glass. This was a side project that were never offered for sale by Pass Labs. Wayne Colburn from Pass Labs designed these for fun and they ended up sounding so good they decided to build 10 pairs for Pass Labs partners and a few friends...
  5. S

How good Is the Mx110z?

It's interesting how peoples ears differ. To me it's it's exactly the opposite. A C28 was my first Mc pre amp. It always sounded quite good but over long long listening periods it could be tiring. Overall I thought it sounded great until I got an MX110z in a bundle of used equipment. The 110z...
  6. S

Are you using a non-McIntosh preamp with your Mac power amp?

I’ve had a few other pre amps, both tube and SS, some very high end. I’ve always found my MX110z to have a little more magic to it than other pre amps.
  7. S

Any die hard tube guys ever use solid state gear for part of the year

My class A Pass amp runs just as hot as all my tube gear. It puts out more power but I prefer the tube sound.
  8. S

My new (to me) MX110(z)

Sorry I hadn’t checked in since the holiday. Joe Mirabella, you can find him on fleebay or a lot of the Facebook audio groups. I’ll try and get a photo tonight.
  9. S

McIntosh Preamplifier help

I'm a little late to this thread. I would consider the MX110z to be a step sideways not down from a C22. They have their own very magical sound and also image very well. They have a certain spatial audio thing that is hard to describe but very pleasurable. I have heard plenty of very high end...
  10. S

My new (to me) MX110(z)

I had the bulbs die in my MX110 a while back and put in led's, it looks great. I also use a power strip to to turn it on/off to save the original Mac switch.
  11. S

Latest and greatest options for 7591's

I have a quad of JJ’s in my MC225 with about 500 hours on them. So far so good and they sound very nice.
  12. S

Opinions - MX110Z pairing question

Every time I swap out my MX110z for a modern high end pre amp within a day the 110z is back in...
  13. S

New MX110Z

IMO this is one of the very best things the MX110z does. I have never found another preamp that re creates the ambiance of a live performance better than the 110z. I've had 2 MX110z's for close to 30 years. Every now and then I'll swap another preamp in place for a while and none ever compare in...
  14. S

MC 2505 replacement bulbs cost!!

I used LED's from Joe Mirabella in my MX110. The color looks fine.
  15. S

MC2100, MC225, MC240 advice needed

I’ve owned a MC225 for almost 30 years along with 2 MX110z’s and also had a C28 for about 20 years. I’ve also owned a bunch of other high end tube and SS amps and pre amps. The 225 is my favorite McIntosh amp second only to a really outstanding pair of custom 45 watt tube mono blocks. The C28...
Back
Top Bottom