Recent content by Teej

1. Teej

Schiit Magni Heresy Opamp headphone amp/pre-amp

I haven't been in a while, but I just picked up the new Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp (replaced my Magni 3) and the improvement is unreal. For $99 this is the best headphone amp I've ever owned. They also released the Magni 3+ concurrently with the Heresy and offered customers to have a...
  2. Teej

Planars and headphone amps, Help!

I picked up the Hifiman planar magnetics ($130) on Drop a few weeks ago and they have single-handedly rekindled my love of headphone listening. Those paired with the new Schiit Magni Heresy ($99 - I also have the Schiit Wyrd, Loki, and Bifrost in the chain) have me at my desk listening in pretty...
  3. Teej

ELAC "Debut 2.0 6.2B" speakers: amplification?

You bet!
  4. Teej

Pairing a Receiver w/ Speakers based on impedance

I messaged Andrew Jones directly about whether my plain-Jane 6-ohm Sony STRDH770 AVR receiver could drive the power-hungry 4-ohm Elac Uni-fi UB5's, and to my utter shock he actually responded. From Andrew: "The receiver is rated at 140W per channel at 0.9% distortion....ie just below clipping...
  5. Teej

ELAC "Debut 2.0 6.2B" speakers: amplification?

I ordered both these and the Uni-fi UB5's as they are both on sale - got both pairs for $500 total. From what I've read about them that is an amazing value. Having a shootout this weekend with some friends. The Debut's are much easier to drive than the Uni-fi's, so you are good to go. The 4-ohm...
  6. Teej

The sale has begun, so I went ahead and grabbed a pair of the Unifi UB5's. We'll see how it goes. If my receiver gives me any trouble here I'll probably end up trying that little giant from Fosi Audio (TPA3116 - less than 80 bucks). Someone recommended it just for this and the specs and reviews...
  7. Teej

That thread up there is rough... I've read everything from "it doesn't matter - they'll sound great" to "they should work but they may sound bad at higher volumes" and all the way up to "you're going to destroy your receiver and/or speakers." The only AVR I've found that supports 4ohm in my...
  8. Teej

I've received some conflicting feedback on this question from various sources, so I thought I would put it to you fine people... I have a Sony STR-DH770 receiver currently driving a pair of Boston Acoustics A25 bookshelves. I am looking into auditioning a pair of Elac Uni-fi UB5's, but the 4...
  9. Teej

Korg DACs and Their Audiogate Software

Some more trials last night, closing and opening lids, putting computers to sleep and waking up, multi-tasking during an active stream - again, everything is perfect now on both systems. Happy but annoyed.
  10. Teej

Looking for suggestions on audio cabinet/furniture

I designed and built my own. It's fun and you get exactly what you want.
  11. Teej

Korg DACs and Their Audiogate Software

Okay – some progress from this weekend, and a $100 solution. First, I almost gave up on the Korg DS-DAC-100. The dropouts are simply too much. Having to unplug and replug once an hour is annoying. I have two areas where I stream audio from computers: the garage and the living room. The garage...
  12. Teej

Connecting a Subwoofer w/ Standard Red/Black Clips to a Sub Out?

That's pretty much what I thought. My plan was to avoid an amp at all costs to keep things clean and uncluttered (hence the powered speakers), so I'll just wait until the right powered sub comes along. Thank you!
  13. Teej

Connecting a Subwoofer w/ Standard Red/Black Clips to a Sub Out?

Is this even possible? I suspect it isn't. I've been in the market for a small or narrow powered subwoofer to go under my desk for my home office setup. It's not all that necessary at the moment as my speakers there have plenty enough bass on their own for my meager needs (Edifier R1850), but...
  14. Teej

EDIFIER R2000DB

Heck yeah - Edifier is legit. I was looking for some decent powered studio monitors for a home-office setup and went with the R1850, and I am extremely happy. I liked that they have a sub out, but I prob won't even use that as they over-deliver on the bass as-is. And the remote is handy as well.
  15. Teej

AKG K240 (Sextett) Questions

I'm having fit issues with these as well. I have a big head and yet the earphones hang just far enough below my ears to stay comfortable. To get the right fit I have to adjust the slider all the way to behind the housing which doesn't seem right. Love the headphones, but I don't use them as much...
Back
Top Bottom