Recent content by Thomas_AA

1. T

Help! Jico SAS with slightly bent stylus (Shure V15 Type IV)

It will play if you align it, but it is not optimal. You may experience channel imbalance and more distortion if the geometry between stylus-suspension-magnet-coils are not perfect.
  2. T

Tonearm vertical pivot angle?

There are many arms not having that like the SME V.
  3. T

I Am Thinking I Really Like Uni-Pivot Arms

I just want to add that the distortion I head and measured was with a 1 kHz test signal and since the record was not perfectly centered, the distortion was heard every revolution. I think this was due to slight bending of the arm and dynamic azimuth variations. With the recommended 600 000 cst...
  4. T

The DECCA has a similar cup for damping as the Moerch UP-4. I need to use it with a very thick damping oil 600 000 cst, then it does not wobble during cueing. And it does not have distortion of a test signal when the record is off-center. What is the recommended silicone oil density according...
  5. T

One interesting thing about the unipivots is how you get the stabilisation due to the tiliting force caused by off-center records. I find it essential to use the 600 000 cst oil in the Moerch UP-4, otherwise you get distortion on such records. I know that there are those using the UP-4 undamped...
  6. T

Yes if you move the cartridge forward or backward you introduce pos/neg overhang and get skating. Turning the cartridge in an offset but keeping 0 overhang does not cause sideway forces.
  7. T

Please do the experiment. https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4gabfjg0v1qrnr/IMG_3644.mov?dl=0
  8. T

Yes the null points has nothing to do with skating, it is just the tracking error that is zero. About a linear tracking arm having offset, no it will not skate. Where is the force?
  9. T

Yes, negative overhang is another word, but the point is, it is not zero.
  10. T

Yes and that is why I question the arm that claims no skating force. It has overhang so it has skating force.
  11. T

It is overhang that is relevant for skating force. This has been shown numerous times. A linear tracking arm has zero overhang all over the record surface, an arm with a fixed pivot has not. You can make the arm longer to minimise overhang. At the same time you can also decrease offset since...
  12. T

I saw that now. But according to that picture with the zero offset arm it does not have zero overhang, so it has skating. To have zero skating on the whole record the pivot point must move as the cartridge moves along the record.
  13. T

I could not see any explanation of how that arm does not have skating. It has no offset angle, but that has no impact on skating force. It seems to be a pivoted arm but how does the pivot move to create zero skating?
  14. T

I replaced my sticky bearing Akito with a used UP-4 with both Shure V15Vx/JICO SAS and Ortofon OM40 and is happy with that. I use 600 000 cst oil for damping, as recommended by Moerch. It is not fiddly during use at all due to the damping. The problem is that I would like to use it with several...
Back
Top Bottom