Recent content by thunderroad

1. thunderroad

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

September 12, 2007
  2. thunderroad

"noise floor" of vintage receivers

I have to agree with that observation. With the volume control at 0, your amp sound be dead quiet.
  3. thunderroad

Low-power vintage gear.

I know that pretty much everyone here would love to own a nice assortment of the totl vintage receivers & integrated amps from folks like Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, etc. But, I thought I would start this thread, to share my love of my low-powered vintage gear & How musical it is! I am not really...
  4. thunderroad

"noise floor" of vintage receivers

I've owned the little brother to your receiver since new, a Pioneer SX-626, 27w/ch. & I can confirm your observations. These receivers are from about 1971 & the semi-conductors from that era do have a little higher noise floor than modern units. I also observed this on my older McIntosh gear...
  5. thunderroad

Schiit Mani phono stage.

Thank you all for the detailed responses. Judging from the bulk of the responses, it really sounds like the Mani is not the way to go as a reasonably priced standalone phono stage for LOMC. Thanks again for the courtesy of your responses.
  6. thunderroad

Schiit Mani phono stage.

I am considering purchasing a standalone MM/MC phono stage to add a second MC capable phono input to my McIntosh C34V pre-amp. I have read many many universally positive reviews & seen a lot of positive postings & videos about it. But, it appears that all of these reviews concerning the use &...
  7. thunderroad

Is There Any Advantage to "Floating a Ground"?

I'm not sure I can give you a simple answer to your question, but I used to work I&C in power generating stations & we constantly fought the ground loop issue with our temporary test instrumentation. Probably the easiest & most straightforward way to avoid ground loops is to star-ground your...
  8. thunderroad

Pioneer PL-560 vs. PL-518

I’m really glad you are enjoying your re-entry into the vinyl world & your Pioneer PLX-518 ‘table. Instead of “upgrading” or moving laterally to the cherry PL-560, maybe should consider applying that $400 towards adding a 2nd modern turntable to your system. Sticking with the Pioneer theme, the...
  9. thunderroad

Finally have my system the way I want...for now!

You’ve got an excellent start on a very nice system that could provide years of enjoyment. As far as next steps in system improvement, I would focus my attention on source components & add a digital capability. Since I am a dinosaur, as far as digital audio is concerned, for me that would be...
  10. thunderroad

Small speaker pairing question

I'm more of an opportunist & would look for any quality pair of 2-way speakers from a major speaker manufacturer at a good price. Fortunately, small 2-way speakers were usually sold in entry level systems & there seems to be lots & lots of them out there on the used market for a song. IIRC the...
  11. thunderroad

The Audio World lost an All-Star today: RIP Jeff Bagby

I’m very sorry to hear this! While I don’t recall having any direct contact with Jeff, the loss of someone like him diminishes us all! RIP.
  12. thunderroad

DQ-10 Amp Recommendation

I am very happily driving my DQ-10's with an older McIntosh 7270. I would recommend you stick to an amp of at least 200w/ch. The Dahlquist DQ-10s are power hogs, but if you feel them the power they want, they will reward you with glorious wonderful music. They are VERY musical &...
  13. thunderroad

Suggestions on new Cartridge/Stylus

There are a lot of factors for you to consider when selecting which cartridge to use & where to wisely spend your money, but probably THE most important factor is what sound you like & what you are looking for. Of the 3 cartridges you mentioned, both Shures will have a similar MM "Shure family"...
  14. thunderroad

Rega RP1 with Performance Pack... or Pioneer PL41

Those both look to be pretty good choices. I wasn't familiar with the Emotiva XPS 1, but after looking at it online, it really looks to be a nice piece of gear for a very reasonable investment! Good choice!!! I think you'll be very pleased with this frontend & it should definitely support your...
  15. thunderroad

Realistic Lab 400 or Technics SL-1300

Wow! It sounds like you have three very nice turntables there! Personally, as hard as good quality turning tables are to find, I would keep all three and eventually get them all worked up and running & a nice selection of cartridges to try in each one. That is especially true since all of your...
Back
Top Bottom