Recent content by Travis G.

1. Travis G.

Fisher Futura IV automatic shutoff issue

Thanks for the diagnosis and possible solution, larry. That actually does make sense to me, but it's probably beyond my skill range. I'll see if I can get a tech I know to try that for me.
  2. Travis G.

Fisher Futura IV automatic shutoff issue

It seems as if the automatic shutoff switch on my FIsher Futura IV console isn't working properly. I ordinarily keep it set to 'off,' so it just keeps running after an LP side ends, but now it won't work unless auto shutoff is set to 'on.' The knob actually has three settings -- off, normal and...
  3. Travis G.

Pioneer SA-8800 preamp static

I did give the switches a thorough cleaning, as well, although I haven't taken them apart like you suggested. Any advice about how would I go about doing that? Would that even matter if the mode selector works for aux, tuner and tape but not phono (preamp)? I'd like to understand that better, if...
  4. Travis G.

I gave all the pots another dose of DeOxit and Gold G5 after a couple of years in storage, and the static appears to have gone away. (The amp played static-free for at least as long as it did last time before the static appeared.) But the stereo issue is still there. What's confusing to me is...
  5. Travis G.

I'm putting a dormant Pioneer SA-8800 integrated amp back into service after a couple of years, and I've got an issue in the preamp section. When I tested all functions before lugging it out of my workshop, the AUX and TAPE inputs worked just fine -- clear stereo in both channels. However, only...
  6. Travis G.

Help ID these speaker cabinets, please

I wondered if they might be homebrew ... They didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before, but I'm hardly an expert. Thanks for the suggestion, HTHMAN. I'll ask for the dimensions, but he told me it would likely need a 10-inch speaker. Any ideas for that size?
  7. Travis G.

Any suggestions for fixing these would also be appreciated. He isn't picky about what goes in there, but he wants to put them to use.
  8. Travis G.

A friend of mine picked a pair of speaker cabinets and a single that don't have any drivers, crossovers, or labels. (The pics got jumbled a bit in the upload, but the pair is sitting on the hardwood floor, and the single is in the basement.) Anyone have any idea what they might be? Any help...
  9. Travis G.

Best speaker score under $100

Oh, and some KLH 17s for $25. They go for four times that now locally, about four or five years later.
  10. Travis G.

Best speaker score under $100

My first vintage speakers were a pair of Klipsch KG-4s for $80. I paid the same amount for a pair of Dynaco A-25s and some DCM TF-600s, and I scored a pair of Epicure 10s for half that.
  11. Travis G.

Marantz / Thorens Vintage Setup

Very nice, you've got some great pieces in that setup.
  12. Travis G.

Tom Waits: Orphans, Brawlers, and Bastards

Rain Dogs is probably my favorite, but I also love Bone Machine, Mule Variations and Nighthawks at the Diner. Really, it's hard to go wrong with Tom Waits. Even his subpar stuff is interesting and worth hearing.
  13. Travis G.

Feedback on some Klipsch models...

Your room setup sounds remarkably similar to mine, although my left side also has some corner issues. Not ideal, of course, but I'm able to make it work.
  14. Travis G.

Feedback on some Klipsch models...

I've had two pairs of KG4, and I really like them. They're not the most accurate speakers I've ever heard, but they sound good with anything you throw at them and do everything pretty well. I intend to do the Crites tweeter upgrade at some point, but I don't have any complaints with the stock...
  15. Travis G.

What new capacitors for Large Advent crossovers?

I just recapped mine with Solen 16UF 400V and Dayton 8.2UF 250V polypropylene caps from Parts-Express, and the sound quality is much improved. They sounded dull and veiled before, but the new caps really perked them up. Much more detail present.
Back
Top Bottom