Recent content by Tubeglowpio

1. Tubeglowpio

1959 Maggy Concert Grand full recap/restoration

Never came across a grand locally yet, I have a pretty nice Berkshire, its mono but sounds sweet, nice find!
  2. Tubeglowpio

Pioneer sx 828 tant caps

Going through a sx 828 right now and wondering if changing those tant caps will lose some of the magic this amp has. I feel like they had room for e-caps on the tone board so wondering why they chose the tant caps, I could fit some film caps but wonder if I should leave those alone. I know they...
  3. Tubeglowpio

SX-1000TD (another one) 1 low channel

I have the sx 1000tw, I think its worth a full restore. At low volumes it sounds close to an older mcintosh imo, real smooth classy sound.
  4. Tubeglowpio

News from TAD (Tube Amp Doctor)

jj el84s are ok, have a few pairs and they can sound really nice and havent failed but after a year or so they do start loosing the nice sparkle at the top that they have. They were nice sounding in my maggie 8601 and eico hf 81, I've also tried old mullards rx1, new mullard and 6p14ev. which...
  5. Tubeglowpio

Sony STR 6065….giant killer!

The service manual is free at hifiengine, I usually just download the service manual and write all the caps down on paper and order them. Its good to have a caliper on hand to measure the chassis cap sizes.
  6. Tubeglowpio

Sony STR 6065….giant killer!

I have a 6050 and 2 6060s and all sound great once recapped, I had another 6050 but someone else recapped it with non audio caps and thought it sounds terrible and thin. Got both of my 6060s in the past year for under 250 off the popular auction site, well worth that price imo. Prices have...
  7. Tubeglowpio

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Hardly ever win in a raffle, awesome.
  8. Tubeglowpio

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Oct 7, 2016
  9. Tubeglowpio

On Impulse I ordered a Boyuu Reisong A10 EL34, class A. Any experience? Add your opinion on it.

Glad your enjoying some tunes on EL34s, I may have to put mine back in rotation soon. Kind of went back to solid state for now because I'm fixing up a few classic stereos, I can really appreciate both for what they offer. I think solid state has that tight deep bass I love but tubes tend to...
  10. Tubeglowpio

Pioneer CS-63dx speakers....anyone familiar?

Does anyone know the difference sound wise between the 3 different cs-63dx models, I know of at least 3 versions, mine has the crossover with the silver capacitors and the midranges with the black metal cover. Crossover values for my verio would be nice to know as well. I saw 7uf and 14uf...
  11. Tubeglowpio

On Impulse I ordered a Boyuu Reisong A10 EL34, class A. Any experience? Add your opinion on it.

I have to check how my order is going hope I'm getting it this week, I'm using one of those cheap 6k4 tube preamps with tone controls right now with my rh84 and I have to say its not bad, not great but for 40 bucks it does not hurt the sound much maybe dulls it one notch but also adds just a...
  12. Tubeglowpio

I just ordered one of those the other day along with the modius to play around with, have heard pretty good things about both
  13. Tubeglowpio

Eico HF 81 VS Dynaco St 35 DG Style?

Yeah could experiment but the pot is not the easiest to get to if I can remember and is connected to tone ic package pec which I should rebuild on some protoboard soon. 10 would be a good number as I'm sure I could use some on my other amps too like my voice of music amp I think, thanks.
  14. Tubeglowpio

Many of us choose to build amps with less than perfect parts to get a special sounding unit, distortion can be our friend if its the right kind and right amount.
  15. Tubeglowpio

Really appreciate you looking but would like to keep it at the original 500k so I don't limit my treble control range, if you don't get or make some extensions I would happily buysome.
Back
Top Bottom