Recent content by UnmarkedBill

1. U

MX112 Phono input inferior to FM channel?

You mean your fm is better than your phono too?
  2. U

Thanks for responding, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with different cartridges and setups and the AR XA sounds pretty great through an old Realistic 33-1057a preamp. The Realistic has a lot more noise but it’s real punchy and fun, I’m sorta wondering if the phono channel on the MX112...
  3. U

Im very new to hifi so please forgive my ignorance. A friend lent me an MX112 preamp, I’m playing it through an MC58 in bridged mode. The FM sounds beautiful, warmth with detail, but the Phono sounds inferior, much less bass and a sterile sound generally. I figure it could either be that my...
  4. U

Checking Cross talk with Oscilloscope and other things

This is pretty off-topic, but what music would you say your Acutex is best suited to?
  5. U

Question about tracking force

Thanks!
  6. U

Thanks for your thoughtful response. The Pierre Lurne arm in the photo isn’t on the XA, it was part of a parenthetical question regarding tonearm mass, and whether the Acutex might be happier on a higher mass arm. It’s being a lot of fun learning about turntable setup. I got a Shure test...
  7. U

Thanks for your good point about break-in. It's a pretty new stylus so I'll check again after 30 hours and see what it likes. The arm in the photo isn't mounted, i really just wanted input about whether a cartridge that sounds better with high VTF is better suited to a higher mass tonearm. Since...
  8. U

This weight slides forward and back, I think it's to simulate higher/lower mass.
  9. U

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
  10. U

I have a tonearm with a counterweight on both sides of the pivot, I think the idea is the forward weight simulates a higher mass tonearm for lower compliance carts. I was thinking this low compliance cart might like that tonearm better and track at lower VTF, that’s what prompted this question.
  11. U

Sorry, I knew I wasn’t wording it very well. Using a digital scale I set the TF to 1.5 and then incrementally added weight to see what sounded best. The signal got fuller and stronger until it started dropping off above 3g.
  12. U

This gets back to my original question regarding mismatch. Is this trait of tracking/sounding better at higher VTF indicative of too low of mass to tonearm-wise? How would one interpret the mismatch?
  13. U

Where could I find the spec sheet? Thanks!!
  14. U

Thanks for your response, I have gotten a test record and the tracking was really good, but i figured with the VTF that high something must be amiss.
  15. U

Thanks guys, I'm into this cart but my question was meant to be broader. What I meant to ask is, "if my cart sounds its best with high tracking force, would it be better suited to a higher-mass arm?"
Back
Top Bottom