Recent content by user510

1. user510

Thorens owners group

Kool:cool: Thorens TD224. Cam operated robotics. It places the record to the platter, plays it through, then picks it up and stores it off to the left, while with the other arm, placing another record on the spinning platter, then cues the arm and drops stylus into the lead-in groove. It can...
  2. user510

Inside the Thorens TD-16X Motor

I've been thinking of other things of late. That motor awaits me in the box with my other Thorens motor stuff. Thanks for the reminder. This thread is indeed inspiring. -Steve
  3. user510

Thorens owners group

That's beautiful. Fwiw several different Shures will work well on the BW arm and give some slam. But man that TD125 makes good eye candy. A true classic. If you can still find a Jelco, several of those can handle a wide range of compliances and for not much money. At least it used to be...
  4. user510

Thorens TD124

Good luck finding a spec for the paint Thorens used on the mk1. I don't know that the company can produce that color code any more. Best I could do was to take a TD124 chassis in to a body shop paint supplier in the Seattle area and with some assistance go through virtually hundreds of paint...
  5. user510

I'm down south in Raymond. On the Willapa River. I may be able to help with TD160 setups and...

I'm down south in Raymond. On the Willapa River. I may be able to help with TD160 setups and maintenance. I can be reached by my private email: ( user510@theanalogdept.com ) -Steve
  6. user510

Thorens owners group

Thorens was predictable in one certain way. They would use the parts they had left in inventory before producing more. With regard the resin sub-platters, I am aware that some of these had the 10mm brg. shaft but most had the 7mm brg. shaft. Fwiw the TD126-III used a 7mm brg shaft with zinc...
  7. user510

Thorens owners group

I'm the author of that site and nowhere on that page does it say that the safety post was introduced in 1972. I haven't identified a particular date for the introduction of this feature except to note that my particular specimen was purchased in 1975 (late in the mk1 production run) and that it...
  8. user510

Thorens TD-125 on a yacht?

Wurlitzer juke box. Those use spring loaded downforce at the tonearm and play the record in the vertical. Might be optimal for use on a platform that is in continuous motion such as aboard ship. Otherwise----rtr and digital, of course. Imagine trying to play records in a house boat. The water...
  9. user510

Is the Black Widow that good?

I used the HFN 001 test record to run a resonance check on the sonus blue/bw setup In the review linked below. That pair up resulted in a 9hz arm/cartridge resonance. "The Infinity Black Widow tonearm used in this arm mates well with the Sonus Blue. Together they measure an arm/cartridge...
  10. user510

Great info. thanks for the correction. I confess, I was unsure of the nomenclature. I do recall looking at that Vestigal :) fairly close back then. It was very different from the TP16 on my TD160 and I sort of marvelled at it with lower jaw partly agape. So we're all a bunch of old farts, I...
  11. user510

I'm aware of the RD-11s. A piece of audio history there. A cool turntable to have, I would think. The main reason I thought the Vestigial arm would be matched to a transcriptors table is because (I think) it was Transcriptors that manufactured that arm. A dual pivot type arm. Above image...
  12. user510

re: the Denon DL 103 cartridges. There were several variants produced over the years. I think the DL 103D had a compliance rating of 12 (@100hz). Which roughly converts to the10 hz scale as a compliance of 24. And there may have been more versions with lighter mass and high compliance which...
  13. user510

I'm guessing the Vestigal arm was on a Transcriptors. I recall such a setup from the late 70's, an acquaintance had one. Paired with an ADC XLM-II improved. Sounded great, except not much bass. I kept wondering where the bass was. After experience with a few ADC's myself I came to realize...
  14. user510

I've got one. The version with the damping trough on the front side of the pivot. Graphite arm tube, of course. It works well with vintage high compliance cartridges. Among the cartridges that I've tried on this arm I think I like the Shure M91-E best so far. The Shure is fitted with a Jico...
  15. user510

Thorens owners group

I've no specific idea. Electronics isn't in my wheelhouse. I'd just hope that there could be some technological improvements given evolution in motor and circuit design over the past 50 years since those circuits were produced. -Steve
Back
Top Bottom