Recent content by valco

1. V

Incredibly strange problem. Help!

The cap brands are 2 Nichicons, and the third looks unbranded. I swapped all three three at once, so I don’t know if all three or just one or two was the problem. I could go and slowly install one at a time. But I’m kind of done messing with this amp. It’s working great, and the voltages are...
  2. V

Yeah, this was the first time I’ve used a kit to recap. Probably my last time as well.
  3. V

Yeah, I’m not crapping on HiFiAudio. The kit was quality. And has thorough instructions if you need them. My only other complaint, other than the issue with the power caps, was that some of the smaller electrolytics for the pcb boards did not have long enough leads, so I had to add extensions to...
  4. V

Yes! The wiring was identical.
  5. V

Honestly, I’m not quite sure myself. It was C51(A/B/C). With the old can cap, it’s perfect. Voltages and speaker outs are no longer swinging wildly by 15vdc. And the faceplate is a non-issue now too. It all just works. I was assuming it has to be the increased value of some of the replacement...
  6. V

Oh, yikes. Very important correction. Its late and Im tired. VintageAR is NOT where I got the kit. It was sold on eBay by HiFiAudio. Ive bought stuff from VintageAR in the past and they have alway been fine. I just swapped the two accounts in my head. Sorry for the confusion...
  7. V

Yeah! I actually used a new can cap when rebuilding my Dynaco ST70 for that very reason! The AR is just buried inside the chassis, so I’m fine with it.
  8. V

vintageAR sells lots of parts and kits for AR, KLH, etc. they seems to know their stuff. But my kit clearly had issues. https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintage-ar?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
  9. V

Thanks. I’ve ordered a number of parts from amplifiedparts over the years. Honestly, multi caps are overpriced anyway. I’ll happily just install three individual caps in its place. More than enough room to do so.
  10. V

Found the problem! Turns out it’s an issue with the recap kit I got from hifiaudio. Ugh. One of the multi can caps is replaced with three individual caps. Not sure why, but the values of 2 of the caps were increased quite a bit. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. When I put the old can cap back in...
  11. V

I traced those swinging voltages back to a few spots on the driver board, but still not sure where exactly its beginning. And its on the components of both Left and Right channels. Ugh, this amp is such a PITA! Its really testing my patience.
  12. V

DC when reading taps of T2 and T3, I mean.
  13. V

No, DC.
  14. V

In fact, all voltages on output transformer taps EXCEPT #5 and 6 swing wildly without face connected.
  15. V

#3 taps voltage stabilizes to about around 0.5v when face is attached.
Back
Top Bottom